New Frag of pulsing Xenia Dead??

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by oBEA5To, Aug 17, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

good deal and no worries, welcome to 3reef;)

2. Click Here!

3. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Thats how mine started back in April, I have since stopped counting stalks since they divide constantly and slowly crawl across the rock lol

4. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

I had ordered a Blue Glove and i got the same thing, a big pile of pooh, the water in the bag was dark brown and was the worst smell you could imagine. I agree with the others, if you have any healthy leather encrusting base, they may come back, keep an eye on the base of whats left if healthy to see if you get pimples coming, OK! but I call them pimples, hahaha.

5. oBEA5To

oBEA5To Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Thats how mine came haha it smelt horrid like sewer water it was disgusting and the frag plug came in one of those little bottles you pee in at the doctors and was face down with plug on top of it. but so far this thing is just melting away :cry: I dont think its going anywhere i'll still keep on eye on it but this point in time looks like no hope for it

6. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

I've had xenia melt away till it all but disappeared only to come back months later.I actually have often wished I knew a way to kill it.When it does come back it will start by extending a polyp(leafy looking part)after that it will happen quickly.

7. oBEA5To

Mine still looks exactly the same in the picture idk what to think. There is no new growth nor is there any melting. It exactly 100% the same. I think a nice patch of pulsing xenia would look amazing! You are lucky to have it grow so much! Is yours the pulsing kind?

8. Click Here!

9. PghSteeler

I do like my large xenia patch, am afraid i will have to at some point chop it back some though same with my jasmine polyp. It pulses sometimees hard to say when it does its really neat when not the flow makes it wave and still looks neat. Seems to get real happy sometimes and pulse rapidly for awhile while other times pulsing very slowly and then other barely at all.

10. oBEA5To

Oh wow so the pulsing xenia doesnt always pulse? or should i say pulse constantly?

11. PghSteeler

Not always, I believe someone told me it depends on pH but I have found no correlation to pH or kH and my xenia pulsing. Same with flow always same flow neevr changed anything. The last theory i heard was pulsing depends in iodine which I do not test for but it makes sense because it seems to pulse more after WC usually, although lately WC dont seem to trigger the pulsing as much as they used too.

The one thing I can say is t here is no correlation between pulsing and health, my xenia grows liek a weed and spltis stalks constantly crawling across the rockwork growing tiyn new polyps whether or not its pulsing. I believe I have some recent pictures in my signature build thread with some before and after 4 months of growth

12. Toronto_Guy

Toronto_Guy Fire Shrimp

If the frag does start to recover, I'd put it somewhere that it's easy to control if it likes your tank. A "nice patch" can turn into an invasive pain in the a#$ pretty quickly.

Anything that any part of the coral comes into contact with will lead to the colony spreading. If a stalk gets blown against a piece of LR in heavy flow it will stick to it and start spreading.

My zoas seem to keep it in check, but they are getting a bit out of control as well! LOL

Tearing it of off LR while doing regular "weeding" can be a pain. Any tiny piece of tissue you leave behind turns into a fresh frag within weeks. I have a zip lock bag ready for the tissue I remove from the tank because it stinks once it hits the air.

I had some water quality issues earlier in the summer, and mine mostly melted away. Once I got my problems in check, they started to make a full recovery.

Are you sure that you want some? LOL