New Frag of pulsing Xenia Dead??

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by oBEA5To, Aug 17, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

I have some sort of pulsing xenia not sure of the kind but its purplish/bluish. Does amazing in my tank! I even sucked it up a few times in WC by accident and poured Freshwater for topoffs right onto it where it melted back and looked dead for a few days or so but it comes back with a vengence lol. Ive thought about adding different types of xenias to the colony but never found any around me and online retailers seem to want a fortune for this weed!

2. Click Here!

3. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

Don't give up hope on it yet,in my first reef tank,I had a frag of xenia melt away for 3/4 months,forgot about it actually,then out of the blue,i got a few little pulsing fingers,few weeks later had a full stalk,few weeks later,it was multiplying.I wrote the frag off months before but never removed it as there wasn't really anything to remove.

4. PghSteeler

off topic here I like to look at a lot of peoples info udner their name when we post, we have a lot of people from ohio on this forum!! Must have a lot of good lfs because all your tanks look great

5. oBEA5To

oBEA5To Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Definitely! I would like to get some shipped if ever possible! And actually im about 45 minutes away from albuquerque i better update that haha but I wont give up hope then im going to leave it in the tank for a while and hopefully something happens, but if it dies it will just melt into nothing? or will there be traces of it left behind and will this throw off my tanks parameters and make my nitrates rise from the decaying matter?

6. PghSteeler

being a softie it will melt to nothing, no calcium skeleton to leave behind. A piece that small shouldnt affect nitrates or anything

7. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

No,i wouldn't worry about it rotting,the coral is mostly water with little tissue,and i'm not saying it will recover,but it's an absolute possibility.And I just got rid of the xenia in my tank,just this past week,lol,but i'm sure Cosmo will hook you up.

8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Thanks! But nope on the LFS, i think most us are online peeps;) But much appreciated.

Yeah, no worries on params, but let me know what happens, I have it growing like a weed now, so whenever you want it, I'll ship it. $6.50, that way I make about $.50!lol

10. oBEA5To

Whenever you got the chance just PM me and let me know I'm willing to order some whenever! Always looking for new corals! and yeah i wish my town had a good LFS but the only LFS is petco :cry: but im going to give this Xenia a week or two and if there no improvements then its out.

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

ok, give this a few days and if it doesn't show signs of improvement, I'll drop some in the mail. prob 3-4 pieces 2-4"s high or so.

12. oBEA5To

Alright awesome! That would mean a lot thanks for everything I will update on the status of the Xenia in a few days or so