New Cross Breed Cichlid

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by techno2, Mar 20, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

OK, So I was cleaning my 90 gallon Cichlid tank, and out from under a rock swam a little fish. I though it was a feeder that got away and hid at first. That is until I got a closer look. It was a baby Cichlid.

OK, So the weird part is, I dont have any two alike fish in that tank. After investigating, I noticed the Peacock and Red Zebra gaurding the nest.

I took the little guy out and put him in my 20 for growning.

Too Cool , hugh !

\Cheers

2. Click Here!

3. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

Congratulations on being a father. Peacocks and zerbras would be unable to cross breed. There are several zebra species that could cross breed, and peacocks could cross-breed between certain species. But a cross of peacocks and zebras is impossible. What fish do you have in your system?

4. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

OK, you caught me. I forgot which the stripped yellow one is.
    THis is what I added to the tank. It is 4" Yellow with faint virticle stripes and eyes that look like a cat. Deffinatly the MOM

Oscar, Electric Yellow, Electric Blue, Kenyi, Acei, Albino, blue peackock ( the brown female one - this is what the baby looks like - Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Blue Peacock Cichlid ) Red Zebra, 2 Bala Sharks, Pleco, Chinese Alga eater, Lace Catfish, Jack Dempsey, Green Terror, Bumblebee

My guess is the unidentifyed Yellow one and the one from the link above as that is what the baby looks like.

Any thoughts ?

5. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Here is a picture of the YEllow one on the right that I think is the mom, and the DAD, top left , and I say that cause thats what the baby looks like.

mom&dad.jpg

6. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

from the pic those both look like kenyis the males are yellow like that and the female are the blueish color, are you sure that not what is happening here

7. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Oh sure, suck all the fun out of it..:cry:
    What I do know, The yellow top Right was and still gaurds the nest.
    The stripped, top left is what the baby looks like. I do not think they are the same breed. Now it is true that a few fish I bought were just labeled assorted Cichlids, but they dont even have the same shape.

Here is a pic of Jr.
    jr.jpg

8. Click Here!

9. suckafish

thats funny because my friends call me the fun killer...j/k like i said from that pic you post its my guess they are the same breed but if body shape is totally different then their not the same. the pic of the baby looks like some cichlids i got with my feeder fish awhile ago. give him time to grow and it will be easier to see what he is... i didnt mean to ruin your good time sorry, lol;)

10. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Well, I still have my silver Sailfin Molly and Orange Lyre tail Molly that keep going at it. She is pregnant now. Lets see if I can keep this batch.

\Cheers

11. suckafish

12. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

The Yellow w/ stripes is a male kenyi. The Striped one to the left of him looks like some sort of a female peacock / hap. hard to tell from that pic.

The [picture of Jr. looks like a juv. peacock fry. When did you buy the female peacock? Recently? She might have been holding already.

BTW, whats the OB fish in the first pic? ob peacock or marmalade cat?

BTW, you do have fish that can cross breed. You Kenyi and red zebra can cross if you have a female red zebra.