New Corals bleached???

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by NASAGeek, Mar 2, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

I received my corals from Reef Empire this morning. I came home from work, acclaimated them as directed and got them in the tank. I didn't permanently place them immediately but got them safely situated.

Of course, everything was closed up from shipment. When I got home from work, the zoa, the 2 palys, and the frogspawn had opened up nicely. Their colors were pale but they were open and looked like they were doing okay.

The acropora was white when I received it and it still bone white. The picture is lousy... I'll get a better one shortly. One picture is the picture from ebay, the other after it had been in the tank for 6 hours but before I expoxy'ed it in its permanent position.

Check out these at this link... http://www.atamartialarts.biz/Aquari...vestock\Corals

Is it "normal" for corals to come in extremely bleached???

My acropora is WHITE. Is it okay??

Colors on the paly's are very pale in comparison as well. Frogspawn and zoas are close to the ebay picture in color, slightly pale but not bad.

I just moved everything into permanent positions. When they reopen, I'll take pictures and post them and get a better picture of the acropora.

So, is the bleaching 'normal'?? Is there something that I should do? Should I be concerned??

Thanks
    Mark

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

Im not real familiar or an expert by any means..but a pure white coral is generally never a good thing...doesnt sound bleached...sounds dead..

4. WuWu

WuWu Feather Star

Yea my mille acro came in like that just e mail them with a pic they"ll take care of it

5. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Im no expert on SPS

the picture is not very clear, and pure white corals can often mean you have a skeleton with all the living tissue gone

but reef empire will sort it , if thats the case so contact them with good images

the thing I am considering before declaring that coral dead is that
    I have recently been reading about deliberate attempts to get symbiotic algae to vacate SPS corals
    basically a brown base colour with blue looks nice
    but if they can get the base colour white, then the blue looks so much brighter

reef empire may be doing this with their aquacultured corals in order you end up with a nice coloured coral when it colours up

check with them Mark

Steve

6. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

I have forwarded some photos to Reef Empire. All the 3reef sponsors I have dealt with have been awesome, I am confident this will be the same. Eventhough the acropora may be toast, I have to compliment Reef Empire... great packaging... triple bagged... prompt delivery... the Frogspawn in particular looks awesome.

I feel this will work out....

Mark

7. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

we want pics of the corals that made it :D

8. Click Here!

9. wfb2270

wfb2270 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

wow thats pretty crazy like anthozoa engineering...

10. Xiztence

Xiztence Gigas Clam

Sorry to hear about the acro, You should post pics when you can of the other corals you got ;D

11. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

12. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

You guys and gals want to hear AWESOME....

Reef Empire already responded... within MINUTES... and offered to replace or credit to a future order.

You absolutely can't beat that. Just incredible. I'll purchasing more from Reef Empire soon to replace this fallen comrade and get some more while I am at it.

WOW.... Very impressive customer service!!!

Mark