New Coral Acclimation to T5 Lighting

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by CashMoney6980, Mar 9, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CashMoney6980

CashMoney6980 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Well today I went to Premium Aquatics to do a little browsing... They had some absolutely beautiful frags of frogspawn, and I've admired these for quite a while. So I figured it was time to finally put my lighting to use and get my first coral frag!! My params are all great, and the tank has been running for right about 18 months. It's a 125g with 40g breeder sump, has a Bubble Magus NAC-77 skimmer, and a 12x39w Current Nova Extreme lighting.

My question is, how do I go about acclimating this to my t5 lighting? The LFS uses LEDs, so is there any certain way I should acclimate it to the lighting? I've heard u can "sunburn" a coral if its not used to the lighting.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I would start it on the sand. The LEDs a probably more intense than the T5s anyways, so if it starts to brown out, raise it up a bit.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  4. Gavinsons

Gavinsons Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Been wanting to go check them out myself. Maybe next weekend

5. CashMoney6980

Premium Aquatics is a great place to shop! It's a little further away then several other LFS around me, but its worth the hour drive! Only downside is, they're only open to the public 3 hours a day on Friday and Saturday. And for the first pick of their fish selection, I'd really recommend going Friday as soon as they open. They get their fish shipments in on Thursday and go quick because of their good prices. And they've also got awesome coral selections that aren't listed on their website. And btw.. Be prepared to not be in a big hurry.. They're usually pretty busy and only have one guy working the register, so you usually wait for a little while to check out.

Where about are you located? I live in Columbus, almost an hour south of Indianapolis.

PS
    (I'm not an employee of PA, nor do I receive any kind of compensation for promoting them. Just a huge fan! The majority of my tank has been bought from them)

6. Gavinsons

Gavinsons Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Im also in columbus

7. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

That would depend on exactly which LEDs they're using, and how they have them set; that's a lot of T5 power, there. :)

I agree, start the coral on the sandbed, and raise it if it starts to turn brown. If it starts bleaching, however, you'll need to run fewer bulbs or shorten your time schedule, then slowly increase back to normal over the next few weeks once it recovers.

8. Click Here!

9. CashMoney6980

Excellent! Thank you guys very much!! I appreciate the help!!