New concept? Mood = Moonlighting (Video Up)

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by insanespain, Jun 17, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

The intent here isnt to recreate the moon. This would be for people who want to add a different twist for night time viewing. There will always be the old school folks that think its a terrible idea. To each their own.

2. Click Here!

3. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

I hear ya, but having green, orange, red, pink, etc color schemes could have ill affect on coral. On fish only systems, shouldn't be an issue.

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk

4. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

I'd skip red, unless you want to promote algae growth.

We have blue LED moonlights, everything pops under it just like the pics that were posted, especially the zoas and GSP, until they close for the night.

5. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

How would it have a ill effect on coral? He is talking the low power LED's from like radio shack, not colored cree's or something.

6. ghut300zx

ghut300zx Skunk Shrimp

white light is composed of all the colors of the rainbow so if you think orange light for example is gonna kill your coral then we better stop using regular light!

7. bjc541

bjc541 Fire Shrimp

All I have to say is I love my moonlight!!!!!!!!!

8. Click Here!

9. insanespain

Exactly. There won't be any measurable output. I'm not talking about using 3w Cree RGBs.

And that was one of the points of the post, was to find out IF there would be any ill effects on the coral, at the low power. If you can back it up with some factual information I would love to hear it. I honestly do not know the answer to this, but I have a feeling most other people do not either.

10. insanespain

Good point. The sunlight, or even a standard 10000K bulb, contains all colors of the spectrum. Thats why IMO, at the low levels of lighting such as used in moonlights, the color will not effect coral or anything else in the tank (to an extent)

11. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

actually not really true. If you look at the spectral plots of most bulbs used for reefs, you'll see gaps in them, some with massive gaps and major peaks.

12. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Huh? A vast majority of corals open at night to feed when there is less predation by diurnal fish (the majority of corallivore fish are diurnal) and due to nightly plankton blooms. Open in the sense they are in feeding mode with feeding tentacles expanded. Take Trachyphyllia[i/ for example. They "expand" during the day to collect more light, and at night pull back part of that outer area and expand their feeder tentacles.