New Clam QUESTION

Discussion in 'Clams' started by Reefer Madness, Jan 22, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

2. Click Here!

3. Reefer Madness

Reefer Madness Astrea Snail

I went to the fish store and asked them for phytoplankton. He showed the kent phytoplex.. and i asked him isnt phytoplex dead phytoplankton he looked at me like if i was crazy. he told me it is the samething.. in fact they didnt even have phytoplankton

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Dead phytoplankton is hardly the same thing as live phytoplankton :) Chances are your lfs told you that it's the same as live because he doesn't sell the live. Do you have any other fish stores that you can check with to see if they sell live stuff?

5. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Why? Please elaborate on why dead vs alive is better for a clam that small and definitly provide me some links, and not one only citing bits and pieces of the actual study.

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I don't have any links, and/or data. I've just found that my clams seem to do better with live phyto than with dead stuff that's been sitting on the shelf for an unknown amount of time.

7. Reefer Madness

Yea i can go to another fish store.

I have another ''New Clam Question"
    why does my clam open up more on one side then the other?
    every day he opens up a little more but the left side streches out more then the right side.. The right side still streches but not as much as the left side of the clam, it is a noticable diffrence .Can this be a problem? I got my water checked and everything is perfect.

8. Click Here!

9. billy31422

billy31422 Feather Duster

probably something to do with closer or further from the light.

10. Reefer Madness

Will I think my clam id dead. Looks like my horse shoe crap walked all over it ot something. I forgot about that guy i never see him. The mantel isnt looking to good he is pushed all the way in with the shell still open. He also lost his color a little bit. I dont know if i should take him out or leave him and see what happens??

11. billy31422

billy31422 Feather Duster

dont give up yet. i do think it needs more light though.

12. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

Cmon we all know dead phyto is better for clams...they cant swim how do they catch the live stuff? LOL just teasing. The lighting can be an issue (what lighting was it in at the store?) the placement is another (water flow). What about acclimation how was it done? What are your water parameters? Are you target feeding the clam? Or just dumping in the tank and hoping it gets some? How is it reacting to light changes? Does it close up if shadowed? It will pull back if walked on by something.