New clam in trouble?

Discussion in 'Clams' started by blue_eyes53813, Feb 16, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

A closed clam is not always bad. I also have seen them fall open when dead. What critters do you have in the tank besides the peppermint? Where is the clam in regards to flow? I have seen them close up if they don't like the current. What is your calcium level and alk? It may just need to settle in. How long at the lfs and what were their parameters

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I would move it up on a rock near the light.

Check out what the owner of ClamsDirect, Barry, said in an old post:

4. blue_eyes53813

blue_eyes53813 Flamingo Tongue

The clam is on the sand in Medium flow. It is in the middle of the tank.Other critters. Are of course the darn peppermint, flame shrimp,cleanershrimp,coral beauty ,flame angel, bi color blenny, yellow tang,cardinal ,anthias and a few chromis.

I will try to move it up a little. I am afraid it will fall between the rock work. I will see what I can do.

Tonight I am gonna cover it with my feeding cap that I use to feed my sun polyps.Something really botheres it last night I think.

5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

First I would put a bit of coral rubble just under the sand were the clam is. Maxima's need to attach to something. It expends a lot of energy attaching, so it could be trying to attach. Peppermint shrimp are know to eat Clams, but it is very rare. If the clam is on its way out I think you would have noticed. A dieing clam will usually bring out the entire clean up crew. You would see Bristle worms, hermits and even snails bee lining for it.
    I would ensure it has a hard surface to attach to and not worry about chemistry. Actually Clams like nitrates to some degree.
    Water flow should be calm as the natural environment is lagoons.
    Try PMing Barry to add his comments to this thread. He is a clam GOD.

Good luck
    Jason

6. blue_eyes53813

Well this morning it looks to be a little worse. I put the feeding cap on it last night and gave it a doose of Dts. The Dts dissapeared with in a short time. This morning( with the cap still on) the shell is about half open and the clam is a purple ball inside the shell??? I am afraid that doesnt look good. Nothing could of bothered it in the night. When the lights come on , im not gonna see if there is any response from it. BOY what a disappointing week im having. I really think I got a bum clam to begin with.

7. blue_eyes53813

I am sorry to say the clam didnt make it. I believe it was sick when I got it. That is probably why the shrimp wanted it so bad. It looked good but I tell you, I dont have any luck with clams. It was responsive at the store. I dont get it.

This morning the shell was part way open and as soon as I took the feeding cap off, all shrimp and hermits ran for it.I wander if it was injured from being at the store? I guess I will never know.This is the part that makes this hobby really frustrating. Anyway I hope my week gets better. I guess I can say I had a clam for a day!

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Oh that sucks. :'(
    Sorry about that, I lost an anemone a while ago and I know how you feel. My mistake was not holding it in the store for a couple weeks first. Impulse buy. Every now and then I seem to have to relearn that lesson. ::)

10. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Sorry to hear that.
    Wish I were more help.

11. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Hey,
    Relax!!!all should be ok with time with your clam. I have a couple clams and i'd swear that there is a road going over the top of my clams because I have shrimp and hermits climbing on top of the clams to get across to the other side of the tank. My clams also close up with their mantle inside as well. They open up again soon after. If your clams didn't close up or show any signs of movement then i'd be concerned. My problem is that I can't get my clams to settle down and stay in one place and I always find the clams on their side. I wish they would stay in one place!!!!!!
    good luck tom

12. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

just a quick question, how long did you acclimate your clam? i know that with my deresa clam he didnt open fully for about a month, now hes at the top of the tank and is open all the way...with clams you really need to take it slow...especially with your lighting, if you want to buy another clam...maybe try a deresa they are...imo more heardy that the other guys...maybe besides a squamosa

sorry to hear about your loss :(