New Bucket of Salt Advice

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by FishThumb, Nov 15, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

just open the bucket or bag and mix. when I mix 5 gallons of it for my tank, I throw a powerhead in the bucket and pour my 2 1/2 cups in and it mixes right up. In about 45 min it's already clear and I leave it to cure overnight. I believe they use caking ingredients to keep the salt consistent.

2. Click Here!

3. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

+1 this is what i use and its hands down my fav salt. a little more expensive but worth it

4. kwinter1

kwinter1 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Aqua vitro has been my favorite (salinity) it is pricy but dissolves very well. I didn't realize how well it mixed until caring for a friends tank using io or reef crystals don't really remember. But they have guaranteed mins and max and have always been right on. Downside it cost more, about .10 $/gal. However all is in the 7dkh min range mag is 11-12 something and cal is 400+ range. So is up front cost worth less dosing?

5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

The potential for settling is always there, so I recommend mixing any brand salt before using. 5 minutes of rolling a bucket across the floor can prevent a lot of hassle with inconsistent parameters.

6. mikekx65

mikekx65 Skunk Shrimp

I started with instant ocean salt. Then switched to instant ocean reef crystals and it really seemed to make a difference with my corals. It seemed to really take off after I switched.