New Bubble Coral

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by reefnJeff, Aug 12, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

Thank you for your kind words. :)

I appreciate what you say about them depending on us. For goodness sake, they're stuck in a little glass box. Sorry if this sounds kinda mushy, but my reefkeeping taught my son a very valuable lesson in morality and perhaps integrity. These animals are our responsibility and we are morally obligated to take care of them as best we can. I see this nurturing and morality blossoming in him at age 16, in part because of my attitude towards my tank. Yay!!!

I have no doubt that it will flourish under your care (well, unless something weird happens but we won't think about that). And yes, keep me posted as it's always great to see an animal thrive! :)

2. Click Here!

3. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

Oooh, very pretty!

I kept mine in the substrate but Jeff's might do well where it's at. The great thing is, is that he's willing to change things around if it's not extremely happy.

4. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

More than likely would move things around if I had to, but I think he will be fine there. In my last re-arrangement to make him happy, I broke about a 5/8 piece off the tip of my Orange Guttatus Birdsnest, I wonder if I can frag it? its tiny and not sure how I would mount it to anything, perhaps find a small hole in a rock to stick it in would be my best bet

5. reefnJeff

I tell you lillys Grandad, if I had known then what I know now about that Coral, he would had stayed at Petco. but from that pic, I agree with Lady J, he will be a show piece for sure. One thing that really suprised me was how heavy it is.

6. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

Take a very small rock (like the size of a quarter) and put a dot of superglue on it and stick the birdsnest on the glue. Let it bond for a minute or two and then put it back in the tank.

7. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

A problem might be that it can't fully expand more towards the back because of the glass being in the way. It's heavy because it's a huge coral. :)

It was inflating soon after putting it where it is now so leave it. Plus, you were forced to move it a lot yesterday so it's been through a great deal of stress. If later on you see that it can't open in the back you'll have to move it, and at that point I would put it in the substrate. It may mean some serious reaquascaping but it's worth it! ;D

8. Click Here!

9. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

Agreed..Nice piece..worth move'n some stuff.. : )

10. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

Good morning lillys Grandad,

Just wanted to tell you your bubble is VERY pretty. :) Your picture, I think, also helped Jeff see just how beautiful they are. When a coral is retracted we can't appreciate their beauty. I was sad when I had to sell mine but it simply outgrew my tank. It was great though because the woman who bought it had been reefing for many years and was absolutely thrilled to find mine. She had been looking for a big one for about 7 months and stumbled across mine. I even talked to her before selling it to ensure that she knew how to take care of it (I guess it was kind of rude of me but it had been with me for several years and I didn't want it to die). Anyway, I talked to her several months later and she said it was thriving.

I'm glad Jeff is willing to reaquascape if necessary so we can all just wait and see... :)

1 person likes this.
  11. reefnJeff

I agree, the Coral does look to have great potential, hahaha! he still seems not quite happy, he doesn't look any worst, looks a little better, but he still has a long way to go. I noticed the other day my Shrooms were getting smaller and not opening as much as before, then I noticed I had a war going on between my Green Star Polyps and Yellow Polyps, the GSP had a nice sized burn on it from the YP and I am sure chemicals were being released in to the water. So I am thinking this could be my answer to the Shrooms and could also be why the Bubble is not comfortable, I just stopped using my canistor filter, so I will have to set it back up and run some good carbon.

12. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

UGH. Well, are you up for some serious reaquascaping? Maybe it's time to put the bubble in the substrate (which really is the best place for it), run the carbon, and move the shrooms, gsp and ysp. The bubble really will be happier in the substrate, off of rock, and in not-quite-so-bright lighting. I'm surprised the gsp and ysp are fighting but I don't know a ton about them. My motto: when in doubt give them all some room. :)