Urgent new brain coral

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by tank1970, Jan 2, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tank1970

tank1970 Bubble Tip Anemone

Here is a photo of my new brain coral put into the dt on Dec 30th

can anyone tell me if this coral is in distress the upper left of the coral is worrying me.

brain1.JPG

2. Click Here!

3. tank1970

Just to add my parms were yesterday
    0 ammonia
    0 nitrites
    less than 2 ppm nitrogen
    380 cal
    ph 8.0

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

In the image the brain looks badly bleached and will probably take some time to recover ( months ). If it were me I would get my money back, if you can not, place it in an area of lower lighting, target feed it at night when the feeding tentacles are out and it may make a recovery. IME

Good luck

5. damon

damon Sea Dragon

I have saved 4 bains and 3 of the where worse than that. What I did was made a "protector" for it by drilling holes in Tupperware, so I knew it would not get it's food take from it. I would ether put it in the tupperware with the lid on or on the sand with the tupperware upside down on top of it. I then used a very small piece of shrimp (like you get for yourself) and place it right on the mouth. If the brain can't fully eat it watch and see if it expands and contracts. I leave the food there if it looks like it's still expanding, but if it's not eating it for real I pull it back out and try again the next day. Eventually it will eat the shrimp (hopefully, but most of the time it will) and then you can start really feeding it, I feed daily until it's happy.I also have recently got some food from reefcleaners and my lps love, love, love it! My brain can eat a whole shrimp a week if I give it to it, not that I'm recommending that much, I'm just saying they can really eat if you get them used to it. oh ya, I find low flow works best for me, mine gets really unhappy with very much flow at all.

1 person likes this.
  6. tank1970

Thanks Damon I have moved it to a lower flow area and spot feed so mysis shrimp I am hoping is't just due to the move. What do brains look like when they start to die? it it fast or a slow death?

7. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

The tissue starts to recede. Damon has good advice for you, K+!. move it as far out of the light as possible, they need very little.

8. Click Here!

9. Nor_Cal_Guy

Nor_Cal_Guy Gigas Clam

LPS need bit more Ca and Mg is very important. What is your kh at?

10. damon

damon Sea Dragon

Did it fully eat the shrimp? honestly they look like that when they start to die :-[, but it's not always fast and some times they can hang out like that for I have no clue how long, maybe years, but I've see 2mths and come back. I think you have a good chance of saving it. Oh ya, iodine dips can help if you start to get algae on the skeleton, but I'm not that experienced with that. You should look for more help (iodine dip info is where I would start) if the skeleton starts to turn from white to any other color.

11. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Looked at the picture a little closer and see the recession. That's not good. Nor_Cal_Guy has a good point about your parameters. 380 Ca is on the low side, which usually means that you don't dose, which usually means that your Kh is low, which does not make your brain happy.

12. tank1970

I do realize the cal is on the low side - I will be starting to add cal this week. hope to get it up to 400 or 420 over the next few weeks.
    I have not tested for hardness - will go to the lfs right now and get it tested