new biocube 29

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by paul21, Jun 6, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. paul21

paul21 Plankton

agreed well most the white area is now gone and covered in my guess would be bacteria browns and other colors so lookin good more like i rember yrs ago when my other tank was up and running so another three weeks and a coral beauty then followng week some soft coral frags not many but finaly saw nitrite drop to almost nothing and even nitrates so will monitor for next three weeks and f all looks good then coral beauty it is tks

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Do a lot of research on the Coral Beauties nutritional needs if you have not. Remember this is a fish that might go after corals and in a smaller tank as the Angel matures the fish might want the whole tank for himself.
    Look into foods specifically designed for Marine Angle fish.

http://www.hikariusa.com/diets/mega-marine-angel/

4. paul21

paul21 Plankton

will do have alrdy been checking than you for the link though wll check it out so far all looking good the clown alrdy freindly takes food right from between my fingers alrdy . yeah i have a coral beauty i been watching and he doesnt apear to be a nipper never can tell but been watching him for a month now caint believe he hasnt sold but guess people that go where he is at dont do saltwater much but they have 3 of pretiest around better looking then the high end saltwater shops and barely over 1 1/2 inch so still young

5. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

Congrats on the new tank. I am surprised how quick you went through the cycle. I had to wait a full month for my 55g tank. I know not all systems are the same, but I am very cautious to adding any inhabitants to early. There are more than one way to get rid of nitrate in your system but the most popular and common is water changes. You could add a refugium with a DSB to help with the Nitrates. Dont ask me how it works, I just know it has something to do with bacteria that grow in low oxygen areas, or something like that. I have been piecing together my tank for about a year now and I have not come very far but I know you have to be patient, and go slow.

Alfie uk likes this.
  6. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Tank is way to small for a Coral Beauty IMO.Min. tank size 70 gallons.:(

Alfie uk likes this.
  7. flynhawaiianz28

flynhawaiianz28 Purple Spiny Lobster

Coral beauties are pretty pugnacious and I would be willing to put money on that it will want the tank to itself and if it does not then it might pick on it's tank mates. I watched one back down a good sized porcupine puffer the other day in a LFS and was somewhat impressed lol.

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. paul21

paul21 Plankton

I alrdy had a coral beauty that never had any problems with a 20 gallon tank for five yrs with two smaller fish if not for power outage for two weeks it would still be going. hey was such a good fella i could stick my hand in tank and he would swim and rub side on finger this time i have a stand by generator but hardly get power outages the two week one was when poured cement for drive way the cement truck took off to fast before we realized how much his truck rasied after dumping load and top of truck pulled out power to house and took two weeks to remount and rewire meeter box and get proper permit before power company would repower.

10. paul21

paul21 Plankton

well quick update the coral beauty is warming up to me is eating out of my hand like the clown does . i saw him body push clown from a certain spot top of a rock but the clown didnt back down so he left him alone i added two camel shrimp but realize now not good idea as they will also pick coral oh well .
    i had a green water issue no geen algae on glass some on rocks but no hairs just dark green water so i read that if sunligh hit tank it could be cause so i checked and sunlight was sho i blocked it turned lights out for two days the geen water went away skimmer doesnt even show green in the cup also did a sand cleaning with the siphon thingy but now have a fine white like when i first set tank up with sand but in bag of sand was some stuff to clear cloudiness from fine particles of sand so if it dosent go away soon either im gonna get some more clear stuf think it called bio-magnet

also i did the tank mod where u remove all bioballs and put two eshopps black sponges and poly floss along with the coralife protien skimmer was wanting to know what yall think about a reactor with either gfo or phosban or matrix with another with phosban
    thanks for help so far i realy not like how long it takes for fine sand particles to clear tank parameters all all good zero nitrate only one thatis like between zero and second color on chart fish seem happy even see shrimp every now and then . so what im after with the reactor is to get a clear clear water in tank i have a suspension water is leaking throught the side of bulkheads as the poly and sponges should have it clear quickly one of the reactors substrate (i guess it called that) even mention it buffers water and clarifies it

11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Are you running any charcoal? Leave the lights off for a day or two and the water should clear. If you do not see a clearing a couple more days put up an image. A leak behind the bulk head should not cause an issue.

12. paul21

paul21 Plankton

will do i had it off for two days it got ridd of greenish water but when i vacumed sand it put real fine sand particles in water and doesnt seem to be getting caught by the poly floss nor eshopps 13 inch foam but thanks i will try light off for another couple days