New ATI bulbs and their effect

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by gamertag, Jan 28, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gamertag

gamertag Astrea Snail

I replaced the bulbs in my aquaticlife 4 x 48" T5 fixture with 4 ATI bulbs. They had the stock bulbs in for about 10 or so months. I replaced the stocks with 2 coral plus and 2 blue plus bulbs based on some images i saw here.

I replaced 1 bulb every two weeks and things have been growing well since the replacement. But, i have noticed that the coraline algae on the live rock has become almost "bleached out" It's now a blue grey color, but in shaded areas (underside of overhangs etc) it's still nice purple.

Also they have had a "browning effect" on some of the corals where others look way better?

So, my question is should i adjust the bulb type a bit or could it be that i need to cut down the time the bulbs are on? I almost feel like the color is too "white" and needs to purple up or blue up a bit.

Any suggestions would be great!

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I would shorten your light period and maybe slowly bring it back up.

Change the order of the bulbs if you have a CP in the front. The first bulb control the color you see the most.

4. gamertag

gamertag Astrea Snail

Oh Cool!!! thanks. i didn't realize that the order of the lights would change the appearance. I do have the CP in front. i'll go front -> BP, CP, BP, CP and change the timer around so that the blues will come on first with the "white" timer.

thanks again!