New Aquascaping

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Yellow Tang, Jan 30, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

I like the "mountain" on one side. Nice set up, caves, ledges etc.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Here's mine in my 55. I like it, but it took me a while to get the way I like. Also, IMO, you need a variety of sizes to get a good aquascape. Large pieces for the base, then medium ones to stack then smaller ones to fill in holes and gaps. Also, the type of rock will play a big role. Some rock doesn' t have as many nooks, holes and odd shapes. The odder the shape the better because it will fit into the other rock more easily then a plain, smoother rock.

1 person likes this.
  4. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

One key to over all stability is to make sure the bottom (base) rock is on the bottom glass not on top of the substrate. There are two reasons for this. First, it eliminates large dead spots under the rock. Second, it eliminates shifting and crashing from age and/or fish and other creatures that dig. I used the gravity method and slight leaning on the back glass where-in you start to build up and then lean toward the back glass. I hope this gives you useful information.
    Click on pic to blow up.
    [​IMG]

5. montecarloz38

montecarloz38 Fire Shrimp

Ok guys so I got mad with how my tank looked and I re-stacked everything. After it clears up I will post pictures. Every one appears to be a live so its all good ;)
    Plus I get my T5 wed. and whole bunch of corals so I figured now would be a good time.

PS: Love to 3 pictures above, awsome **** guys; hope my tank can prosper like that some day.

1 person likes this.
  6. Yellow Tang

Yellow Tang Bubble Tip Anemone

So do I

7. Yellow Tang

Yellow Tang Bubble Tip Anemone

Lucky Im going to start getting corals

8. Click Here!

9. montecarloz38

Ok guys please tell me what you think. My gf helped me rearrange everything and I think I am happy now.

BEFORE: [​IMG]

AFTER:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

You new layout looks much more natural. I attached a picture of my 90 gallon. My rock is just stacked and is for the most part stable. There is a few small rocks that are loose. This is like the 10th aquascape I have done in this aquarium lol. Everytime I have to move a rock for something I forget how it was and redo it lol. (pardon the grass growing in the sand and the dirty glass...tank needs a good cleaning again)

Attached Files:

11. montecarloz38

I very much like the structure on the left side and ride side looks ok. But that big rock in the middle left that connects 2 structures looks a bit unnatural imo.
    How big is the tank, 125?

12. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

I'm constantly changing things around, my 55g currently looks like this & I'm pretty happy with it now:

Attached Files:

• 15.jpg
      15.jpg
      File size:
      264 KB
      Views: