new aquarium, one clown fish died :(, other not eating

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by morty, Apr 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. morty

morty Plankton

hey all got another clown fish today they are both going really well,
    eating and swimming around lots. looks like theyve both paired up too ;D
    added more ph buffer and have the tank oxygenated alot more, (dont
    have enough money to get an oxygen pump yet) so im just using the
    filter flow to oxygenate the water. they dont seem to mind the current now :) ive learned to only add a little of stability at a time, and yeah acclimitized the second clowny alot longer and he took to my tank water really well! :)
    thanx guys for the advice :) anyway heres a link to my tank on youtube any more advice would be appreciated -

YouTube - Clown fish, Nemo, new 20 gallon aquarium

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

I don't want to come off as being mean, by any means, but you need to slow down with your tank and read up before putting stuff in..

stability?? what all are you putting in your tank...should be nothing as of right now it's too young. your tank is still cycling. Are you testing or just putting stuff in that your lfs had told you that you need?

my suggestion is to read thru a bunch of these threads and learn about cycling. Stop listening to your lfs, they just want to sell you stuff. cycling Threads - Forum Tags by Zoints

4. jas3600

jas3600 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hope things are looking up for you!

Keep us posted

5. morty

morty Plankton

LOOK, I AM NEW AT THIS OK. my tank has fully cycled now, as im getting 0 nitrite, 0 ammonia, and about 5ppm nitrate. theres nothing wrong with using stability to speed up this process, and its not all im adding to the tank (ph buffer, prime water conditioner, small (very small) doses of calcium). Using stability is better then adding urine to ur tank to aid the cycle, like some ppl have suggested on this forum (hey, why not just take a **** in your tank? ::)). I am new, ive prolly made some mistakes, give me a break ok?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2008
  6. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

my bad dude.......good luck with your tank.

7. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

How old is your tank? Nothing wrong with adding stability, but as far as anything else goes, I wouldnt do it. You need to buy some good test kits. Dont dose anything without testing before you do it.

8. Click Here!

9. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

All she was doing was pointing out to you that even though you are new, the way of keeping fish healthy and properly doesnt magically morph so you are successful everytime.
    I lost my first fish. Bummed me out. Was a 2 dollar chromis. my tank cycled using a dead fish from the fish market for 2 MONTHS. And guess what, that chromis didnt die in cycle. It died cause i DID NOT read up, listened to petco, and bough 3 chromis, not in pairs of 2 like your supposed to. And stability doesnt speed the cycle. It ENDS it. its for emergencies when the bacteria in your tank are not able to keep up with the amount of waste being produced by fish, and then stability is supposed to remove the ammonia to give you MORE TIME to RECTIFY the PROBLEM.
    This hobby requires you to know everything you can so you can do what you need. If you dont, and something occurs, and you dont know what to do ans LFS tells you what to do, you willl probably end up buying bottles of "stuff"
    that isnt needed. Hell, im 14 years old, and i have been able to keep a REEF successfully because all idid for the 3 months my tank was cycling and when i had no corals and only like 4 small fish, was read books, internet articles, and threads on 3reef. These people want to help you, and if you blow them off with their suggestions, why ask for it?

10. Godbert

Godbert Montipora Capricornis

aquaboy is right. we dont intend to scare you off this forum by any means but as you can see we all care very much about the proper husbandry of marine specimens.

11. morty

morty Plankton

tank is going really well, water quality is good, my new clowny is going
    really well too, they are both eating, but sometimes hesitant to eat, but i guess theyre still settling in. tank is 3.5 weeks old. the stability doesnt end the cycle lol, it starts it, then u keep the doses of stability going to accelerate the process, and if id started using the stability earlier, i wouldnt have had any probs. (lol @ the deadfish) doesnt look like ill need to use stability much more now anyway, all signs are good. prolly will add some more bioballs and activated carbon though methinks. was thinking of getting a protein skimmer but i dont think ill really need one with my 80litre nano tank. lots of live rock goes along way i think. i am sorry for my other clownys death :cry: may he rest in peace. looks like i got everything under control now, so it wont happen again, ill post if i have any probs.

12. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

No chemical can replace whats natural and whats needed. Good luck though