New aquarium 06/12/2011!!! Finally set up!!!

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by malac0da13, Feb 9, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

I got all the holes drilled in the tank and received the Leds and optics from LED Group Buy | CREE LEDs for DIY Aquarium Lighting. I tested one out and man are they bright lol. Stand is coming together nicely also gotta do another coat of polyurathane and should be able to assemble the rest.

2. Click Here!

3. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

Picked up the stuff for the returns of my closed loop. Not sure if I wanna go with the fan style or jet style. I already have four of the fan style so I might go with those. I mainly wanna use these to keep the bottom clean as it will be barebottom. Question about bare bottom tanks...is the star board a necessity? The tank I have has an extra bracing on the bottom on the inside and seems like it would make it awkward and leave a crack around that will inevitably attract detritus. With out the board though how do you keep rocks in place?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Attached Files:

4. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

So I gave up on waiting for the Thomas research drivers from nanotuners and am getting a refund. Instead ill be going with 6 meanwell drivers...3 for each color. Would have been nice to only have two drivers but I don't want to wait and they haven't even been able to give a specific date as Thomas research hasn't given them a date yet. So as soon as the moneys back I'm placing my order for the other drivers.

5. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

Refund received and order placed. Rapid said if I placed order today should receive them by the weekend so hopefully by the weekend I'll have my led light done. I have to go to radioshack tomorrow for some wire and maybe some connectors to tidy it up.

6. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

That sucks about the TRD`s they seemed promising and I was looking forward to your experience with them as I was thinking of using these on a future LED build....but none the less looking forward to the rest of your build....keep up the good work.

7. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

I was too. Instead of six plugs I wouldst only had 2, and I only have 8 plugs with my reef keeper lite lol. The way evil talks about em on nano-reef they seem pretty good and Nanotuners will be the sole supplier from my understanding of the emails we had back and forth. I'm just getting anxious and I wanna get this light together lol. Sucks when you drop like 1000 plus on a bunch of supplies and don't get most of it till month plus later lol. I got all the blues epoxied down nowand bought the stuff to attach the heatsinks together and mount the shield (though I don't think I'll need it).

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

Got all the leds attached got a 5 of the holes drilled and tapped for the angle piece that will hold the heatsinks together and I think will be hung from. I still gotta drill and tap the holes for the standoffs for the splash shield and figure out how I will dress everything up and control some of the light spill but that might wait till I have the tank more ready to be set up.

10. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

Got it all soldered just waiting for the drivers to come tomorrow

Attached Files:

11. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

Got the leds all wired up temporarily till I finish the outside of it and get the plugs and what not for each series. I couldn't wait to see it over water so I got it hanging over my 90 with no optics at the moment. I'm thinking I should have went with more blue though. With both all the way up looks washed out. The pic is of both colors at the lowest point.

Attached Files:

12. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

Leds have dropped my daytime temperature almost 3 degrees from my T5's. Amazing...