new anemone

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by linetrash, Feb 10, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. linetrash

linetrash Fire Shrimp

IMG_1274.jpg

IMG_1270.jpg
    thank you here is a picture of the little guy!

2. Click Here!

3. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

what type of lighting is the nem under?

4. Annie3410

Annie3410 Teardrop Maxima Clam

It is pretty! congrats on the new addition. I don't know a whole lot about nems, and haven't had the guts to get one, but it looks like it may be a little bleached out. Any anemone keepers agree and/or have any tips to improve it?

5. Sacul1573

Sacul1573 Millepora

I'm kind of disappointed in some of the treatment that has been given here. While I agree that all my research (I have no experience with nems) indicates they are very hard to care for, why would we tell someone their tank is doomed, and to take it back to the LFS, where most likely it will sit in their tank and die there, or go to someone else's tank who is less inclined to ask for advice? The anemone has already been removed from the wild, and so it's chances are slim it will survive from removal through shipping through acclimation. So, let's offer our support and knowledge, instead of sitting on soapboxes.

I have a few articles you should read:

BTAnemRMF
    BTAnemJimB
    BTAnemMarcQ

2 people like this.
  6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Are you feeding your new anemone?

I agree with some posters here that BTA's are relatively easy in terms of anemone care.

As long as it is out and expanding daily and not moving around the tank, it will probably do fine.

Coloration of BTA's is so variable, they can be a pink tint in coloration and be healthy. In the image is looks healthy enough.:)

7. linetrash

linetrash Fire Shrimp

thank you sacul and corailline. no i have not feed it yet i was going to tonight i wanted to give it some time in the tank before trying to feed it.

8. Click Here!

9. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

Yeah i told the OP to take it back and i dont regret it..

hope all goes well and if starts to shrink and deterioration starts, take it out asap

and cant tell about health and color of yours..corailline is right about the colors and guess yours is healthy,,hope you got strong enough lights..

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Ok cool.

Just give small pieces and watch to see if the anemone expells in a couple of hours so you can remove any undigested pieces from the tank.

11. snooopidydoo

snooopidydoo Coral Banded Shrimp

I pulled this same mistake, I put a rose bta in my tank literally a few days after my cycle. It's been alive for 4 years, and split 4 times in the process. I made 300$ in 3 years doing this and always had healthy nems. Just take care of it and research research research.
    Good luck.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; USCCADR6275US Carrier ID 45 Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17

12. snooopidydoo

snooopidydoo Coral Banded Shrimp

It actually looks like that thing is about to split.