new anemone

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by linetrash, Feb 10, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gajones06

gajones06 Astrea Snail

When I had my 30 up an running I had a RBTA and for the year and a half I had it nothing ever went wrong with it. Don't stress over what these people are saying, I did for 4 months when I first got mine...just enjoy it!!!:thumb_up:

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. makeshiftcrew

makeshiftcrew Gigas Clam

Exactly! Possibly devastating to a tank...but only time will tell what happens.

4. linetrash

linetrash Fire Shrimp

thank you gajonesi appreciate the encuargment

5. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

yeah reading all day is research, not experience..the swings and experience is what im talking about..

6. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

but good luck OP hope all goes well with your tank and nothing bad happens

7. starfish2217

starfish2217 Horrid Stonefish

+1 some. Can't blame you tho I did the same thing I was just toooo excited and put one in my tank when I first got it.. yea it died.

8. Click Here!

9. Annie3410

Annie3410 Teardrop Maxima Clam

Congrats on the nem. you know the risks, so now just watch everything closely. Everybody needs to not be so hard on this guy. Every one of us has made the same mistake. Advice is good but lets not police other peoples tanks. Make sure you have "anemone-proofed" your tank. Make sure there is no way for him to get sucked into a powerhead, overflow, etc. It may move around until it is comfy. I would check your parameters VERY closely. With fish and easy corals you have a little bit of play in the params. They will show you stress while anemones can just keep dying without warning you that anything is wrong. Now, we need PICS!!!

10. linetrash

linetrash Fire Shrimp

thank you annie. i will get pics up tommorow i hope my camera would not focus tongiht. so hopefully i can figure it out.

11. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

It's your tank, I'm not going to lecture you on what to keep in it. There is certainly reasons to be cautious with nems as you've already heard more than enough... Sometimes they can be very tough, other times they can be very easy. You have one, now you need to take care of it.

IME, the issue with them, is they each have their own personality. Some like one type of environment, some like the complete opposite,making them a bit unpredictable. However, for the most part, I've found a few misconceptions that I think may make a lot of peoples lives more difficult when trying to keep them. Note, these suggestions really only apply to BTAs and LTAs, not necessarily carpets, sabes etc...

What I can say is IME, contrary to common belief, these types of anemones are not at all like SPS corals in any way. For one, most do not seem to tolerate tons of flow. I think this may be one reason people have a lot of trouble with them. We run huge turnovers in our tanks. Personally, I've found they do best in around 10-20x tank turnover with no direct flow.

Also, IME, I've found that they actually often do appreciate some nutrients. I've observed the best growth when there are some detectable nitrates. Not high, but 5-20ppm should be perfectly fine and may be better than 0, at least for these types of nems. They do not seem to like ultra-low nutrient environments, such as SPS corals.

Light, is another area which gets people into trouble IMO. Some, do like lots of light, but they don't require SPS levels of light and some prefer substantially lower levels. A lot of people right away, put them in bright light, this can be very stressful for them while they are adapting to a new environment. I've found it's best to put them low in the tank, where they are a bit shaded, and let them move themselves where they want to go.

Never try to place them up high, if they want to go there, they will. Try to provide areas of the tank with various flow, so they can move to a flow level that suits that individual preferences. Don't try to stop them if they want to move. If you have to move things around to let them get to their destination that's what you need to do. BTAs are especially prone to walking around. If they do settle down, feed them, if there is no food, they may move again, but don't over do it. 1-2 feedings a week is good to start, once they get established, you may want to cut back. Too much food could cause them to split, which may sound good, but unless you want a nem tank, it isn't.

Finally, do not place clownfish in the tank until they have established themselves for a few months and have grown significantly larger than the fish. This is esspecuially true with BTAs since the fish that naturally host in them tend to be larger and more aggressive.

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  12. newguy420

newguy420 Skunk Shrimp

I'm amazed at the amount of **** talking to this guy. Why don't people state their opinion and move on? Maybe make a suggestion and not try to make him feel like his life is ruined unless he polled your advice.. People learn from mistakes, not people telling them what to do.
    That being said, Congrats on the nem. They are awesome. They are difficult in a new tank as some have said but good luck. Hope it works out

1 person likes this.