new and needing answers

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by salty, Oct 6, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. salty

salty Plankton

Hi again. I guess what im asking is, im setting up my tank from the bare bones which i will post pictures as i go . but the question i have is the pump that you pump water back in to the tank out of the sump does it just go from the sump to the tank or does this also go thru the filters at the same time. im not talking about the skimmer but actual filters in a canister. also i really like this set let me know if i can use this on a new set up thanks.http://www.3reef.com/forums/i-made/...eplaces-skimmer-refugium-everythin-51120.html

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

The return pump(RP) should be the last piece of equipment that the water see's before going back to the DT. The water should run through the filters before the RP. As far as that Turf Scruber, I have never used one, but from what I understand, it should be used as a add on filter system and not a stand alone. Luna

4. salty

salty Plankton

Here's a pic of the first part of my tank.

This is a 125 gallon sitting on a 1975 or there about stereo cab that i gutted (got free on craigs list).

Attached Files:

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Cool! Are you going to drill it? Luna

6. salty

salty Plankton

I should have plenty of room under for a sump.

Thanks for the reply im real anxous to get this started . I want to use white sand how deep do you recommend the sand be also i keep hearing not to use tap water but thats a lot of water to buy any alterntives. thanks.

7. salty

salty Plankton

No i'll just have to go over the top but i think for starters that wont be to bad.

8. Click Here!

9. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I would really consider drilling it, now that its empty, if I where you. I keep my sand between 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 in. I DO NOT recommend using tap water, unless it goes through a R/O-DI unit. Ask your LFS if they get NSW. If they do, ask someone there if they can give the number of the guy that bring it to them. Maybe that same guy can pass by your house and fill up your tank in one shot. Luna

1 person likes this.
  10. salty

salty Plankton

ok thanks ill ask. and i guess i'll ask the local glass company if they can drill it .where should i drill and do i need just i hole in the bottom or one in the side to. thanks . And what diameter should the hole be.

11. savemeasunset

savemeasunset Plankton

I buy my water from my LFS. That way I know it's right, it's easy for me, and I don't have to worry about mixing in the perfect amount. Also now I don't have to keep just a big tub of water lying around; when I need water, I just bring a couple buckets to the LFS and they fill me up.
    I'm not sure how much it costs per gallon if you use a mix and do it yourself, but I only pay a dollar per gallon for it premixed, which certainly adds up but it might be worth trying that way anyway.
    good luck!!

12. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I'm a newb to the hobby .... transporting that much water sounds like a huge pain... so I bought an RO unit. It's bound to be cheaper too.

Welcome!