New Algae Scrubbers

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by SantaMonica, Sep 14, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dr. Bergeron

Dr. Bergeron Peppermint Shrimp

Would we see reduced scrubber efficiency if we are not feeding this much?

i.e. When using a scrubber would we adjust our feeding regimen to match or will the scrubber still perform but just grow slower?

2. Click Here!

3. SantaMonica

SantaMonica Fire Shrimp

It just grows less. Only if you feed more than it can handle, is there a problem.

4. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

So now I'm thinking my proposed 11 x 8 screen is WAY oversized. I'm not sure how to go about sizing it now. In the example you posted, does that 3 x 4 screen only handle ONE of those feedings you listed? So if I feed one cube and 10 inches of nori, I need to double the screen size?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

5. SantaMonica

SantaMonica Fire Shrimp

1 cube + 10 sq in nori = 2X example screen size.

6. SantaMonica

SantaMonica Fire Shrimp

Updates on the LED test. 3 pics from 2nd cleaning, and 1 vid from 3rd cleaning:

2nd cleaning, 7 days, top:
    [​IMG]

2nd cleaning, 7 days, T5:
    [​IMG]

2nd cleaning, 7 days, LED:
    [​IMG]

3rd cleaning, 11 days:
    SM100 LED Test - 3rd cleaning - 11 Days - YouTube

1 person likes this.
  7. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

I hate when youtube takes forever to process the stupid videos! Cant wait to check that video out. Would you say the led side is slightly less or the same?

8. Click Here!

9. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

really cool i just made a diy one for my 40 gallon but i thinks it way to small its only one sided and the sheet is about 7inch by 3inch

k+ for a really cool guy and a really cool thread

10. SantaMonica

SantaMonica Fire Shrimp

The LED side appears to be slightly more.

11. SantaMonica

SantaMonica Fire Shrimp

Coming in 2012:

Algae Scrubber II

(nano owners rejoice)

12. SantaMonica

SantaMonica Fire Shrimp

Two updates:

1. The cyano stage: Some people, who start using a scrubber for the first time, get rid of their nuisance algae but then get some cyano that they never had before. The reason for this is that cyano is able to "fix" it's own nitrogen, which means it is good at getting the last nutrients that are available. However, once these last nutrients are removed, the cyano will go away too. And the more powerful the scrubber is, the quicker this happens.

2. High coral-growth theory: Some people are wanting faster growth with their SPS corals. In a scrubber-only tank, when there are no other filters, you have higher amounts of dissolved and particulate food in the water than if you had other filters running. However, the lighting remains the same. In other words, growth requires light and food; a scrubber-only tank has more food, but the same light. My theory is that if you increased the light too, you would get much more growth; possibly more that natural levels.

This is based on watching "traditional" SPS tanks with lighting problems (low light/food ratio): The corals grow slow (if at all), and tend to stay brown. When the lights are fixed/replaced (high light/food ratio), the colors brighten up and the growth starts again. However a scrubber-only SPS tank has much more food in the water, yet still only has "traditional" amounts of lighting. So the light/food ratio is low again. So my theory is that if you increased the lighting to more than "traditional" levels, you would get "more than traditional" SPS growth. Bleaching is less of a concern in a scrubber-only tank, because of the larger quanitity of food that is available (studies have shown that more food reduces bleaching).