New Additions

Discussion in 'Coral' started by cuttingras, Mar 18, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Hey, reef_guru, how many of those "no cost" + "free shipping" coral frags you got left? ;)

I'm totally kidding

2. Click Here!

3. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

the way it looks now is the way it should look just bigger, that frag was taken off of a mother colony that was that size 6 months ago with the right water quality and par your frag should grow like a weed. i gave the same type to gazog and his is growing fine, maybe you want to talk to him to see what hes doing, since you already know my set up.

4. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

ahhh cool I've been researching them and have read lots of into about them.....cool check will be in the mail tomorrow(for shipping and the box) :)

5. glassbox-design

glassbox-design Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

CG,

I am confident in saying it's not an Acropora, it's likely Montipora hirisuta or stellata.

Reasons for not being an Acropora-

There are no coralite tips. The polyps size is not correct. Chips (Acropora horrida) has a much different structure and much much larger polyps (read: shaggy! ;D)

Reasons for being a montipora-

Polyp size and contorted laminae (plates), something acropora's lack.

For reference, here is an old image of our Chip's
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the hijack, just trying to help as they need slightly different needs.

1 person likes this.
  6. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Cool Glassbox thanks for the ID I've looked it up and ya knwo, I think you are right!!! Ding Ding Ding! Karma to ya!

1 person likes this.
  7. glassbox-design

Glad I could help. It's a very nice specimen, most likely M.stellata given the coloration (blue tips). It's very light in color, which is not bad, but be sure to acclimate it to your newer lighting and give it some good indirect flow and I'm sure it will blossom for you ;)

8. Click Here!

9. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Mine is actually in my frag tank right now, under 208 watts of T5 lighting. Keeping my calcium between 400, 430 and Alk at 10/11 DKH.
    They are on the top rack of my frag rack which means its only about 3" below the surface and 6" below my lights.

Unfortunately I have no recent photos only this one from about 4 or 5 weeks ago. They started out pretty much as sticks and have since
    both grown new branches both on the side and at the top and they are both starting to cover the frag plugs. Sorry about the crappy picture!

[​IMG]

10. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

the tips are not blue their white. the stems are a greenish color

ive researched both the stellata and hirsuta and even though both are close their not the same, but what i do know is the coral is part of the sps acroporidae family. if i can remember the bloody name ill let you know CG

11. glassbox-design

I think we can all agree it's an SPS ;) All of the pictures shown in this thread except for the A.horrida and the Pavona are very likely Montiporas.

Acropora's have axial coralites with a polyp on top. None of these have this as far as I can tell.

I also realize the tips are not blue, but under high enough kelvin they can give off a light blue from reflecting the light, as cuttingras's is showing in the photo.

These are commonly called Elkhorn Montipora with the stelleta taking on a lighter green with white/blue tips and hirisuta taking on a darker green with grey/white tips coloration.

Scientific names are for the most part are useless in our hobby, so Elkhorn Monti is likely your best bet ;)

12. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale