New acro frag (tiny) today

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by missionsix, Oct 20, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

So do you think it's the light or the jump in mg? The jump in mg was considerable. Everything else in the tank looks as healthy as it always does.

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Try to replicate the same lighting condition from where it came from. As for the Mag level, a small WC should take care of that. I know that you just dosed, so that would mean that all the Mag would be thrown away, but we all have to do what we have to do. Luna

BTW, congrats on your new addition.

4. missionsix

The dose was to bring mg up to my desired level. It's at 1400 right now. And I've got it at the bottom of the tank now. It's hard to not shock new corals to my lighting.

5. missionsix

Well, I moved to the bottom yesterday and it looked better for a while. Today it looked worse and I figured it was toast. Moved it to a shaded spot in my tank and I'm seeing a little polyp extension. I was worried about putting it at the bottom to begin with because of the lack of flow combined with closed polyps and a bleaching appearance. Now I need to figure ot how to get flow to it where it is(harder than it was getting flow to it when I first put it at the bottom).

6. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I always start corals out at the bottom then move them up to where I want them. Do you have tissue coming off the coral or is it just discoloring?? One thing to remember with sps's is they like stable water conditions and not parameters bouncing up and down.

Good luck with it my friend, nice to see you moving towards some stony corals.

7. missionsix

No tissue coming off. Just dis-coloring/closed polyps. Water conditions were stable before I decided to start testing and supplementing. Didn't even really remember I had just brought home a new coral. I've ruled out the mg supplementation. And gone with the lighting shock. I've got a couple of other stony's but, easy ones. I just gave the tank a remodel and dedicated a good portion of it for more.