New 40 Gallon Breeder - filter questions

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by wswensonjr, Jun 11, 2007.

1. wswensonjr

wswensonjr Astrea Snail

Ok so here is the deal i have had a 55 gallon tank.. Started back in July of 06 now i had to move back home. So no room for the 55 gallon so i started to think then i did a 10 gallon nano well its nice but i wanted something bigger. So i have decided to go with a 40 Gallon Breeder tank (pick-up tomorrow) I have a spot to fit perfect. Now I need to get ideas for a skimmer for it. Also any idea as to what size sump would be good? I already have a Aquafuge Refugium - RF12 that u can see that i have setup on the back of the 10 Gallon took it off the 55. So i am going to reuse that. The skimmer has seen better days as I bought it off of someone else already used, so since i have to real time line i have figured that if i plain things out and get all my equipment together then I can make a really nice tank. I choose the 40 Gallon breeder as I feel this give good depth and u can do more then just a brick wall with the L/R. Also any ideas whether to go with crushed coral or a sand bottom?

I am also building my own stand so as I start that I will post pictures and will do a short thread in the DIY section with details.

For anyone that lives in mass around the framingham area Tropic Isle Aquarium is a great place to look they have everything there(if they don't they will order it)

Also any ideas for lighting what i should go with will be doing a DIY canopy so looking to wire lighting in that.

Looking for all the experts out there to guide my way through this set-up.

Thanks
    Walter

Also i Know that everyone has there own likes and dislike. I am looking for that as well as i can read about everyones liking of a product or disliking that another product.
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  2. Click Here!

3. jason12345

jason12345 Flamingo Tongue

tropic isle is a great lfs
  4. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

I'm going to do a 30 or 40 gallon breader within the next couple months.. I'm going to use my 150w mh K2 viper that I have plus another one and stagger my 24 watt pc's in between for the actinics....
  5. chris adams

chris adams Scooter Blennie

Tropic Isle was my favorite when I lived in Worcester MA. Lots of goodies but there prices were generally more than others. I was willing to pay a little extra at tropic isle knowing the quality and health of fish at the other stores was not always the best.