New 29g reef tank. I'm lost.

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by James.F, Jul 14, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. James.F

James.F Flamingo Tongue

Another question:

Since the lighting options are slimmer for 30", with a lot of 24" and 36" options, would a 36" fit my tank? and if I find a deal on one (I see one of the nice Nova Extreme 4 bulb setups with a timer on craigslist), could I use that and not waste light?

Something like this photo and put some mirrors to reflect the over-hang into the tank and send the light at angles it wouldn't get to from directly overhead.:

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Nice idea, could work

4. chumslickjon

chumslickjon Purple Spiny Lobster

I'm facing the same dilema right now with the same sized tank.
    Here's the thread http://www.3reef.com/forums/reef-lighting/lighting-30-inch-tank-113497.html

I'm still up in the air about this build. I'm on the fence for the LED, but the fact of having all kinds of modded equipment above the tank in my office, I'm leaning away from that and considering the T5 since it's a low profile fixture.

Problem with our 30" long tanks, most bulb choices are 24 or 36". I did find coralife makes a 30", and if I go t5, I'm going with that since it will light the entire tank. It's priced nicely too. You should look into it.

HO T5 Aquarium Light Fixture: Coralife Lunar Aqualight HO T5 Aquarium Light Fixture

5. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

+1 I have the same fixture but bought it from aquatraders. the 4X24W unit, I put ati Bulbs in there and it works great and covers my 30" long tank no problem

6. hazard1986

hazard1986 Fire Worm

EDIT: i guess i should have read through all the responses and i would have seen that someone has already suggested this

i have the 36" version of these, i did not get them from aqua traders though i ordred on ebay, to many negative responses for that company but the overall product works and its pretty bright. Odyssea T5 Aquarium Lighting im sure youll have to change the bulbs out eventually but for the price it fits your budget

7. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

James that 24" light would work fine for your 30" it should light up the entire tank :p I'll have to look when I am awake more but I think it was Xmetal that has a 36" tek 6 bulb on his 75 gallon which if you don't know it 48", that's 4 inches a side instead of 3 :p

8. Click Here!

9. wasitgreen

wasitgreen Feather Duster

Never said they were all bad, though it seems that if you have problems it is likely to be severe, I see that people like them a lot too, just seems either its great, or nothing but problems. But I don't have one and you made some good pounds (other than all the cords). Ultimately its up to him though.

10. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

The cords are why this is a plus over other fixtures. It allows you to use timers for dusk/dawn lighting, which is not possible with a single corded fixture.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

11. droopymatt

droopymatt Bristle Worm

have you considered a DIY led build... there is a lot of threads on here that can get you in the right direction, and if you are crafty you can save A LOT of money...

12. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

For the long run, and best bang for the buck, this is the ONLY way to go IMO.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk