new 10 gallon tank!

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by coug, May 4, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ragc

ragc Bristle Worm

Coug, my hermits didn't make it either, if that helps. I had a red and a blue legged, and I saw the blue loose a fight with one of my nassarius snails over a piece of shrimp! I suspect that there wasn't enough food in the tank for the snails and the hermits to both eat, and the snails seemed to have better sense of smell and find the food first. My two hermits probably starved to death. The one that lost the tug-of-war was probably half gone by then! I recommend you target feed any you have left.

My 11 nassarius are still well, but I don't bother with hermits anymore!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2006
  2. Click Here!

3. asilefx

asilefx Skunk Shrimp

I always overfeed for my inverts. I've kept all of them alive and well, not sure that would be best for a nano though, not without a sump anyway.

4. ragc

ragc Bristle Worm

Live and learn! As a newbie I thought the hermits could fend for themselves...after all, their rep is as snail killers! It was when I saw the snails abusing them that I realized something was wrong, but it was too late!
    :(

5. coug

coug Astrea Snail

how does a snail kill a hermit crab exactly? does it sit on it's shell or something?

1 person likes this.
  6. asilefx

asilefx Skunk Shrimp

That's what a conch does, for the most part.

7. coug

coug Astrea Snail

Attack or sitting??

I looked into my tank a little while ago and saw the body or the stalk of my anemone sticking really far out almost like it was reaching for something. When I looked closer and saw a crab, not one I bought but the other one I mentioned before had come out of some live rock I bought attached to the anemone. It looked like it was trying to squeeze it at it's base. And I was like what the heck. Is it squeezing it or just sitting on it maybe. I grabbed the net and tried to scare the crab off the anemone which didn't work. So I grabbed the entire rock and started to pull it out of the tank at which point the crab started running circles around the rock and never fell or jumped off the rock.

Any ideas as to what was going on and should I be trying to remove this crab from my tank if it's gonna behave like that? This is the first time I've seen this in weeks. Was the crab trying to kill it by squeezing it or something or was it just hanging out on the anemone?

8. Click Here!

9. coug

coug Astrea Snail

Nobody knows the behavior between a crab and an anemone?

Was he just sitting on the anemone or was he attacking it?

any advice?