New 10 gallon build

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by chaoticdefault, Jul 24, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chaoticdefault

chaoticdefault Astrea Snail

Decided to take a 10 gallon tank with me to college but I couldnt just make it that easy on myself, I had to make things a little more complicated. I drilled two holes into an acrylic tank I had, both of the holes are overflows one main drain and the other is an emergency drain.

[​IMG]

I'm having the water drain down into another 10 gallon, I originally wanted it to just be a refugium with invertabrets but I think I've decided against that for now.

[​IMG]

The water will come out of the drain and into an old 3 gallon tank I found in the basement. I plan to drill holes into the bottom of it so the water has an exit point and since it's shorter than the 10 gallon if it gets too dirty it can go over the top but not on the floor.

[​IMG]

Then the MaxiJet will do the rest! I built the stand myself so I'm a little worried about it. I had it sitting outside last night with a 30 gallon full of water and rocks and it made it through the night.

[​IMG]

The plan for now is to just have coral in the tank but I feel eventually I'll want a fish or two. What fish would you suggest for this kind of setup?

I can decide on a light as well, I have some mushrooms, hammer coral, and an acan that are going to go into it for sure. What would you suggest?

2. Click Here!

3. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

noice little setup you have got yourself there.

4. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Looking good! Are you going to add any check valves?

Also what is your return pump and what type of lights do you plan to use?

5. chaoticdefault

Thanks!

I'm not sure yet, the maxijet 1200 I have returning the water is barely doing the job so I'm not sure if adding a check valve is wise currently.

I plan on getting a 12 LED PAR38 Bulb (Mixed Color with UV) from RapidLEDs
    12 LED PAR38 Bulb (Mixed Color with UV) - Rapid LED
    Do you think this will be enough?

Here's some new pictures:
    I put it in the basement for now to absolutely make sure it will hold up, the lamp behind it will hold the LED bulb.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Looks good. I have a sofft spot for small setups like this because it's similar to mine. I say may it an SPS dominant tank :). I clown pair and maybe a gobie/pistol pair would be nice.

7. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

looks like a good start.
    make sure when you get that par38 bulb that you take off the cone on the light fixture, the bulbs need to be completely exposed for proper cooling.

8. Click Here!

9. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

Looks good. Nice little setup to take with you.

...if you're not going to skin the stand, you may wanna add an X brace in the front or back for rigidity. ...not every person that will be in your dorm will be as responsible around the tank as yourself.

10. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I was thinking the exact same thing. The stand looks sturdy; as long as no one bumps into it! Definitely add some bracing for that reason. Otherwise, nice build!

11. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

I suggest a Custom Overflow box.. and to put some more bracing as stated above.

Looking great so far though.

12. chaoticdefault

Thanks for the tip!

Could you show me what you mean by x brace?

Any overflows you'd suggest for a 10 gallon?