Neverlost 90 Gallon Reef Build Thread

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by NeverlosT, Aug 26, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

Awesome tank man...really!! I love the simplicity in everything, but so complex at the same time.

Just a few questions.
    -How much head is there between your sump and the display?
    -Is your fuge suspended? Along with your skimmer? Could you elaborate on the fuge?

Really nice tank man..I love it!!

2. Click Here!

3. NeverlosT

NeverlosT Astrea Snail

Ermano:
    The head on the main return pump is about 12-14', so I would get about 1800gph out of the pump, which was a bit too much for my drain (single 1" bulkhead), so I T'd off the main return and now ~600gph of the main return drives the skimmer (so the skimmer does not have its own pump). So about ~1200 gph make it to the tank.
    Take a look at this pic from before, it shows well how the sump is set up:
    [​IMG]

I bought this 90G tank on craigslist, cut a big hole for the main return in the side, had several glass pieces cut, and siliconed them all in to make baffles and the refugium. The refugium has the left wall higher than the right (so it overflows to meet the rest of the sump water on the right), is fed by the skimmer (~600gph of well stirred water), and is supported by 4 PVC stilts beneath it (probably not really necessary).

I am looking for the webpage dedicated to the design I based my sump off of, if I can find it, I will post it here.

EDIT: Here it is! CLICK ME

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  4. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

Ahhh I see. Nice set up...I really do like it!

5. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

Tank looks great. Love the rock work

6. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

That is hands down the best sump I've even seen.

7. mikejrice

The cycle has not started yet. IME the first couple of weeks of cycling is slow. When the spikes start you will know it.

8. Click Here!

9. NeverlosT

NeverlosT Astrea Snail

yeah, I am trying to figure out how to speed the cycle up (I know, I know, patience, but hey, putting a bit more stuff to decay in there cant hurt at this point).

There is already a shrimp in there, let me know if you have any ideas. maybe more shrimp? Live sand from another tank? Some live rock (I am worried about pests like mantis shrimp/big worms/bears)?

10. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

just skimmed through pictures, it's turned out really good :D

11. dpruitt7450

dpruitt7450 Bubble Tip Anemone

very nice tank. u can def tell u have taken ur time and planned EVERYTHING out.... very nice tank and planning keep up the good work and keep posting new pics :)

12. mikejrice

Don't know why I didn't catch it before. Turn off the skimmer. You don't want it removing the nasty stuff the bacteria needs to colonize. I agree don't add live rock and risk one aptasia turning into hundreds. I made that mistake and have fought it ever since.