Never put a common pleco with goldfish

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by Jaws_flounder, Mar 22, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jaws_flounder

Jaws_flounder Plankton

A britslenose does good. Commons have a craving for a GF's slime coat, and could "cling" onto a goldfish and kill it. So please, don't ever put a COMMON pleco with goldfish. The best type of pleco's to be put with goldfish are the britslenose.

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Ok, thanks for your insight!

4. venus

venus Plankton

Thanks very much for the info; I've got a goldfish 911 website and have several members that keep plecos and loaches with their goldfish, but I've always heard this is a no no; but cant say why.

Good to know. I appreciate it when someone offers up a good tip. I'll make sure to share with my members.

5. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

i have one with mine right now, i always heard if you keep the pleco well feed with veggies most of the time it wont go after the goldies.

with mine i tried to make sure there sizes were realitively similar, i didnt want the pleco to act like a remora on a shark, or the pleco be too big and be able to pin a goldfish down.

anyway ive thought about taking the pleco back to a lfs to prevent any future sucking more then once. but i guess ive decided as long as the pleco doesnt act up, i will leave him. ive only noticed agression from the pleco when the goldies swarm his algae wafer. usually he just extends his spines but one time he did bite one let it go instantly, but i can understand defending his meager rations of algae wafers(he only gets real veggies 2 times a week)