Never ending Red Slime...Please help!!!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Share-Reef, Jun 4, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Well, sooner or later (seems like later) you will use "red slime remover" or "chemi-clean". No one really wants to add a chemical but sometimes it is the only way. You must eradicate the bacteria and then those other measures you have employed will work. Look at it this way, you're stressed now! So stressing about a chemical can't be as bad! Countless people have used it successfully, why not you?

2. Click Here!

3. kiarah

kiarah Coral Banded Shrimp

I agree here....... uncle jed gave me great advice & got rid of all my cyano and like i said before mine was way worse then yours.
    get the nutrients down
    Then
    Kill the cyano with antired or a chemical as stated above
    Then
    keep the nutrients down to keep the cyano away

It sound silly but its that simple......................;D;D

4. jeneal45

jeneal45 Plankton

"It doesn't feel slimey when I touch it. It feels hard and thicker, more like coralline, but it is that deep blood red color."

This sounds like a form of coraline algae I have on some of the rocks in my tank. I also am battling the real red slime and it really is slimey so I wouldn't worry about the hard stuff. Its just a different color of coraline. Unfortunately I dont have any advise on the red slime battle yet since i still haven't got rid of mine :/ 75 gallon 4x65 watt compact flourescent, nitrates and phosphates both 0 ph 8.2 alk at about 8 degrees and i think i need a new calcium test but the one i have says i'm at 300 even after dripping kalk. I have mangroves halameda and chaeto all of which are growing rather slowly I assume because the red slime is eating every nutrient available. So I'm seriously considering either an antibiotic or maybe chemiclean to kill it so my good nutrient eaters can grow. I have snails and hermits but they just cant keep up with the algae. Also wonder if all my aptasia aren't helping my algae problem...I plan on killin them but want to get rid of this algae first. Oh using RO water for water changes which i dont do very often i admit...not sure what point there is when my nitrates and phosphates are already 0. Anyway...mostly posted here to mention the coraline algae thing. happy red slime killing!