Never ending Red Slime...Please help!!!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Share-Reef, Jun 4, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Share-Reef

Share-Reef Astrea Snail

Update-----Yesterday, I went to the LFS and got a bunch of chaeto and put back in my refugium. After the water flows from the refugium, I put some nitrate remover (Kent's) and some Phosphate remover (Dr G's) for the water to flow through before it goes into the skimmer and back into the tank. Hopefully, this will help. Also, my MH lights are on from 9-4. Is this too long? The actinics are on from 830 to 430. Should I cut some time off?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. kiarah

kiarah Coral Banded Shrimp

Hummmm not being funny but if its not as bad as mine above or you can hardly see it then i dont really get why your soooooo stressed?
    cyano is not hard & rubbery so i think the deep red stuff is a different type of algea but i cant remember the name ( its on the bad algea id thread at the top of algea page). & the other stuff that dose sound like cyano on the sand and as i said before if there is 0 nutreints then it cant feed or grow......... Your low or 0 readings are like you said are that lwo because the cyano is using it to live so get rid off its fuel and it will go away.
    Try and chill as you said yours is nowhere near as bad as mine was and i kicked it within a month
    & i cleaned all my tank filter bits & stuff in some off my tank water....skim 24/7 dont over feed it will pass

4. kiarah

you got any pictures of it?

5. Share-Reef

Share-Reef Astrea Snail

I'm so stressed because I don't want it to get out of control and it has already taken out several of my SPS corals.

And, an updated update is that I looked in my refugium this morning and theres cyano growning on the walls. It is not on my new chaeto yet, but last time it started taking over down there.

I just want it gone. I don't know what else to do. I cut feeding down to twice a week for my fish. My corals get 2 caps of DTs and that's all they get for the week. Should I cut things down less than that? Also, are my lights on too long: Actinic on 8:15, MH on 9:00, MH off at 4:00, Actinic off at 4:45?

I will test the tank today and try to get pictures and post results.

6. Share-Reef

Share-Reef Astrea Snail

Update, with ?'s

Ok, I tested my tank just now and it reads as follows:

pH 8.2
    Nitrate 0
    Ammo 0
    Nitrite 0
    Phos 0
    dKH 13
    Calc 400
    Mag 1300
    Sal 1.025

I have a couple questions. I put the Dr. G's Phosphate remover in there so I think it is doing the job. I also put the Kent's Nitrate Sponge in there too. I am hoping this along with my new chaeto will starve the cyano out. I do have cyano on my frag rack and across the front of my rocks. I am farely sure that the Phosphate remover is doing a good job because I still had phosphate readings of 1 and .50 before adding it and I had cyano then.

On to my questions ~ I thought my dKH was a little high. How can you lower this? or do I need to? My calcium is a little low. I use Kalkwasser and it takes care adding the alkalinity and the calcium. My question is if I dose it will my alkalinity get even higher?

7. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I would look into why you are getting the phosphates in the first place. Also, be careful with those additives, over time they can wreck havoc with your PH and oxygen levels.
    When you test your RO water, are you testing it right after it comes out of the unit, or before it goes in the tank? Are you storing the RO? A lot of plastic containers will leach PO4, so that could be part of it. What exactly are you feeding? A lot of flake and pellet? If using frozen, are you making sure to drain all the water after defrosting before putting it into the tank?

8. Click Here!

9. tulare reef

tulare reef Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

i was having a slight red slime isue but the owner of the lfs said to use ultra life and then use a tooth brush and brush off all of the slime that you can it was gonr the next day and havent seen it agin

10. chinita

chinita Astrea Snail

Mexican Turbo and Fighting Conch will eat them. I also use to have them grow out of control and I don't feed my fish a lot. I even change water twice every two weeks but no change. I bought a Ro/Di unit and in one week the growth stop. My Mexican Turbo and Fighting Conch take care of the rest.

11. kiarah

Id still like to see pictures.............:)

12. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

chem clean kills the cyano and releases the nutrients back into the tank to grow new cyano down the road. get your refugium back up, do some water changes and remove the cyano so your chaeto can dominate. refugiums are about competition and allowing a macro to dominate instead of cyano. you have to help turn the tide in its favor though, b/c cyano/film algae etc.. and most of the nuisance algae are very efficient in removing nutrients. What are you using to remove the cyano other than chemicals?