Neone have red colored corals (sps)

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Dingo, Apr 7, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

thanks bill... I have one currently over my tank and it does a great job with everything, however not this one red monti. Im trying to find a bulb that has high output at 440 nm so i can bring out the red in that guy

2. Click Here!

3. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

Are you referring to the PUR curve of that particular coral? If so, I'd be very curious where you found that info. I'd like to read more about it.

4. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Yes actually! But only for specific photosystems however...

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I have a red millepora under 2ATI BP, Fiji purple and ATI aquablue it has always had a deep red that has a slight brick look to it. It looked a little more red under a GE6500K instead of the ATI Aquablue but not very much. I would suggest you try to get as many different spectra peaks as you can with your bulbs to get all of your colors to pop. Experimentation appears to be the key.

1 person likes this.
  6. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Thanks 2 in 10... I run halides so my t5s are just for supplement where the halides have low spots, but I'm trying to get the best ones for my tank

7. bama

bama Humpback Whale

Red is the first spectrum filtered out in water.. thats why fish at depth are often red, such as red snapper. But when viewed at depth they appear black. Funny world we live in..

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I would try and find spectra graphs for each bulb if I were you. I would guess that bulbs that have a white or slightly yellow look might give your reds a truer rendition.