Neone have red colored corals (sps)

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Dingo, Apr 7, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

the 6500k is pretty much in the middle of my array. Both the red planet and tort are in about the same spot tort a little higher. I also forgot to mention I have a reddish/orangish monti spongedoes or something and a monti digitata that is a pinkish.

2. Click Here!

3. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

my problem exactly! its like a dullll red but pink color... im looking to color it up by targeting 440 nm for its zooxanthellae. Next time im at my lfs ill get a gueismann pure actinic and see if it changes!

4. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

5. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

I'm also considering new bulbs and from everything I've read ATI is the way to go for blue and white bulbs. They have higher intensity than GMann for about the same color and price. The guy who wrote the article linked below says the ATI 12k looks a lot like the Phoenix MH 14k. So I'm probably gonna do 2 ATI Aquablue 12k, 2 ATI Blue Plus+, 1 KZ Fiji Purple, 1 Gmann Pure Actinic......

Found his really good comparison and write up today. http://www.practicalcoralfarming.com/t5spectrums.html

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
    2 people like this.
  6. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

I have been thinking about replacing one of my actinic whites with a fiji purple and one of the other actinic whites with another blue+. When all the bulbs are on its a little to white for me. Maybe its because I'm used to seeing the 20k halide over it.

7. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

ATI blue+ have the most par of any blue bulb...

For a pure actinic bulb, though, go with the UVL pure actinic. It puts out more par than both ATI and geismann, and you can SEE the difference where most pure actinic bulbs get drowned out by the other lights.

I run the following combo F-B:

UVL Pure Actinic
    Geismann Aquablue +
    Geismann Actinic +
    Geismann Actinic +
    UVL Aquasun (high par pinkish bulb like the Figi Purp)
    Geismann Aquablue +

I want to swap the Actinic + bulbs out with ATI Blue+ bulbs when my LFS gets them in (because I don't want to ship bulbs and risk breakage)... The ATI blues reportedly have significantly more PAR than the Geismann.

I get a good amount of representation of all the colors, and my reds don't look too pink.

8. Click Here!

9. jhawkor

jhawkor Millepora

I have a Rose Millepora frag that is red under my 14k halides but hot pink under actinics.

1 person likes this.
  10. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

what red sps do you have?

11. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

who makes your halides? and what wattage?

12. poolkeeper1

poolkeeper1 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

IMO The Figi Purple Is the best bulb to bring out the Reds,Oranges,Pinks they all just pop under that bulb. Just my 2 cents
    Bill

1 person likes this.