Neon Tetra acting weird

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by Jayhawkfan15, Oct 17, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jayhawkfan15

Jayhawkfan15 Plankton

I bought 5 Neon tetras about 3 days ago, and they were all shy at first hiding behind the driftwood, but now they are all swimming around except one...
    There is one neon that just floats around aimlessly in the same spot for minutes at a time then moves a little and floats around some more. It usually does this closer to the top half of the tank, but I have seen it do it other places as well. The rest of the Neon tetras all swim around together usually and they seem to be fine, but this one isolates itself from the others and just floats around. Whenever I drop food close to it, it still floats around not going after the food :(. There seems to be no discoloration or having any problems swimming. It had schooled up with the rest of the others a few times, but other times just seems to prefer being alone. Any advice to this topic is appreciated!

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

I'd suggest isolating it if at all possible. Sounds like the first stages of Neon Tetra Disease. There is no cure, and any fish that picks on it's flesh when it dies will get the disease, so it's just better to be safe than sorry.

4. Jayhawkfan15

Jayhawkfan15 Plankton

This is my first tank (29 gallon), so I don't really have a place to put it and isolate it. I have a small container i can add water to, should i just put it in there and see what happens? I feel bad for the fish :(..

5. Mr. Bill

If you can keep it warm and aerated, yes. There is some chance that the one is just still in shock, but assuming they were all acclimated together in the same bag, it's not very likely.

1 person likes this.
  6. Jayhawkfan15

Jayhawkfan15 Plankton

I don't have a heater, but I isolated it and ill observe it and see if it starts acting normal. If not then idk.. I'm worried about the rest because I read that Neons need 5 or more in a tank, or they will be stressed. You think they will be okay by themselves? Btw thanks a lot for your input Mr. Bill!

7. Mr. Bill

If you don't have anything in the tank that's chasing them, they should be ok. I lost all but one out of a school of six... it done just fine for nearly 5 years.

You're quite welcome. :)

8. Click Here!

9. Jayhawkfan15

Jayhawkfan15 Plankton

So, I went into Petco and explained the situation and they said just bring it back. Hopefully after I return this one the rest of the fish will be fine. Btw Mr. Bill do you have any clue why one of them just started bullying the rest of them? He/She is very mean towards the other 3.