Need to raise Alk fast

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by crustytheclown, Oct 2, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crustytheclown

crustytheclown Eyelash Blennie

ok found a conversion chart on the forum. So ppm = mg/L So according to the SeaChem instructions on the back of the Mag supplement bottle, i would need to add 20 level teaspoons of supplement to raise my Mag by about 100ppm. Is this too much or would it be ok to use that much at once?

2. Click Here!

3. crustytheclown

do you know the link for this 3 reef calculator?

4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

it would be OK IME - but dont forget to allow for rock in your tank
    if your tank is 20 gallons - then it may only hold 15 gallons of water allowing for the rock

so I would add 15 teaspoons - you can always add more, but you cant take what you put in, out again

mix the teaspoons of Mag with RODI water - and allow it to slowly drip into your tank ( I used a plastic bottle with airline syphon and a loop pulled tight in the airline to reduce flow)

Steve

5. crustytheclown

Can i dissolve the desired amount in tank water or just ro/di ?

6. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

good question

some yes , but again we have the issue of existing Ions in solution
    basically think of a cup of coffee , there is a limit to how many teaspoons of sugar would dissolve in there

with RODI you have more capacity for dissolving

Steve

7. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

I agree.. With anything, you want to raise the levels SLOWLY!! If not the cure could be worse than the problem...

8. Click Here!

9. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

I have used the SeaChem Magnesium in powder form. It works VERY well!! I have a 90gal DT with 40gal sump/refuge so, the total water is about 115-120gal give or take the LR & the piping. My magnesium when I started was 700 & I used a whole SeaChem Magnesium bottle 2.6lbs powder & half ESV B-Ionic Magnesium bottle 32 fl oz to get my magnesium to 1300. Which took about 3 weeks to get it to 1300.

Mind you, the SeaChem bottle stated "2.6lbs treats 4800 gallons"! After I spoke to my LFS, he states that due to how low my system was, it would take the whole 2.6lbs. He was 100% right. I was dosing 5 table spoons per day, then went to 10 per day. Just go nice & easy. It's much easier to add, than to remove it after.