Need to lower salinity in a hurry

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by nahkyla, Feb 28, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Ich is nothing more then common cold brought on by stress as a rule stress from a chill or over heating in to warm of water new aquarium being harassed . To use hyper salinity to me is like going outside and standing in a freezing rain or snow naked to cure a cold :) If the fish is eating then it will be fine and with ever up rising of the free swimming faggletts the fish will build a resistance to them through their slime coat .

Osmosis is the movement of a liquid through a semipermeable membrane. The liquid moves from areas of low solute concentration to an area of high solute concentration. The flow continues until the concentrations are equal on both sides of the membrane. (The liquids move, not the solute)

Saltwater fish are in a water environment that is saltier than their body. Osmosis draws water through their skin out of their body. Saltwater fish need to drink water to replenish this constant loss.

Now Freshwater fish have a body that is saltier than their surrounding freshwater. Osmosis draws water through their skin membrane into their bodies. Freshwater fish do not need to drink additional water.

Fish not only drink the water but they breath through it as well..taking in the oxygen and filtering through their gills.

Bottom line is by lowering the salinity the fish is being deprived of its ability to remove waste from its system and not allowing it to uptake fresh liquids since the osmoses is stopped and that just adds more stress I think , thats not to mention affecting the slime coating ? . I have yet to ever see a need for this treatment for common ich .

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. mastamind360

mastamind360 Astrea Snail

u can drop the salenity as quickly as you want to. it wont hurt the fish. HOWEVER when yer bringing it back up u need to do it slowly. its the best way to get rid of ich.

4. nahkyla

nahkyla Astrea Snail

Here is what I have done.

I turned of the lights and left it to natural room light. I left a nori clip and feed 3 times a day with the specterum brand pellets and some cyclopez pellets.

I hatched a batch off bbs that I was planning on feeding my guppy fry and threw some in as a "get better and get more treats"

so far the reduction of stress, which I have determined as the cause of my issue is less. Most of the white spots on fins and etc are dissapearing.

No need to lower salinity this time. Thanks for the help.