need to know

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by rcupak, Sep 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rcupak

rcupak Astrea Snail

All, I have a jaguar cichlid in a tank that I am getting rid of soon, I prob already know the answer to this but someone might be able to shine a different light on it. What would it be compatible with? I have a 55 with one frontosa that is about 6 1/2 inches in it and thats it. Would that even begin to work? Tell me if it's worth trying, there are plenty of spots to hide and get away....:-/

2. Click Here!

3. rcupak

rcupak Astrea Snail

I actually have to calvus in there but they have a place to get away and nothing can get to them....anyway....

4. Dsilowka3

Dsilowka3 Fire Worm

How big is your jaguar? The front will at least double in size to what it is now. this can be a cause for concern as they grow. cichlids are very territorial (esp. jaguars) and a lot of care should go into them when selecting what to mix. a 55 gal. is rather small for just these two fish alone (at least a 120 is suggested). Another point to think about is the jaguar is from central america and the front is from africa. ive attempted this mix myself but quickly learned that it has a lower rate of success. not to say you cant make it work as everyone has diff. amounts of success with any fish, just by from what ive read and seen i think you may run into some problems down the road.

If you really want to keep some cichlids have you thought about just going with africans? there is a huge selection of fish to choose from. Peacocks and mbunas are especially entertaining and pretty.