need some help with sump

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by gwbh, Aug 17, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

You could either have it return back to the sump area, or ideally return it inside the tank. You could do this by copying what they have done with the return pump, if that makes sense.

2. Click Here!

3. gwbh

gwbh Astrea Snail

thanks for the replies, I think I have figured out pretty much everything I can before the tank gets here. That will be when the real fun begins!

4. gwbh

gwbh Astrea Snail

here's a quick plan i drew up for the sump, it shows how big the cabinet is too. Again its a 5.5 gallon tank, 10 inches tall. Overflow will empty into a sock, protein skimmer will be in the same chamber, 8 inch baffling with one inch gaps, 3 inch sand bed with plants. Is this a decent plan anyone? opinions will be appreciated. photo.jpg

5. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

There is an awesome thread you can read about this subject. http://www.3reef.com/forums/reef-aquarium-articles-how-tos/all-about-sumps-filters-fuges-79852.html

This is where I have learned all I know about sumps along with tons of research.

I would move the Refugium to the right side of the sump and put the pump in the middle section. The right side should where you skimmer goes should have 3 baffles to reduce your micro bubbles. With the limited space I would space them no less or more than 1" apart. The first baffle will determine your water level in the sump area.

Read the article it explains all this info and adds to some that I didn't explain.

1 person likes this.
  6. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Actually I think for a simple and space limited sump, your design is just fine. That is how I would make it given the size.

7. gwbh

gwbh Astrea Snail

thanks, awesome article.

8. Click Here!

9. gwbh

gwbh Astrea Snail

I do like the first idea because it maximizes the refugium size, but after reading the article it seems the double (as opposed to triple) baffling wont do quite as much for bubbles. I'll have to decide whether to change or not...

10. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

You will be able to completely do away with the double baffle coming from the fuge.. If you put it on the opposite side of the skimmer section.

11. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I only use double baffles on my sumps and don't have any bubble issues.

12. gwbh

gwbh Astrea Snail

i think im going to settle in the middle ground and have 3 baffles on the left, and two on the right side.