Need Opinions on these Plants

Discussion in 'Algae' started by markgsiy, Feb 13, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. markgsiy

markgsiy Astrea Snail

Hi All,

Have a group of these green leafed plants growing like mad on one side of my small tank. See the picture below. I have been thinking of just leaving them there to grow, but it is getting kinda thick there and I don't know what to do...

So, I want to ask your opinions...

1. Would you keep them or pull them out ???

2. I think these plants are actually good for the tank, although someone told me that they are better kept in a refugium rather than with the tank ?? Is this true ??? - can someone confirm that with me ???

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give.

Mark

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

Its Halemeda macro algae.  Its good to have but like high calcium~400ppm. I have some growing in my fuge.

4. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Algae in the display tank need to be regularly harvested to keep them from overgrowing and/or shading out corals and such. Also, I know that caulerpa holdfasts (like roots) can pierce the skins of some corals, which is not good. I am not sure if the halimeda would do the same or not.

I personally like the look of it.....it depends on if you want to deal with harvesting and such. :D

5. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

Halimeda is not that aggressive and doesn't like to be pruned too much. It will however soak up your calcium and nitrates.

6. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Looks like you also have some grape caulerpa in there as well... :D

7. markgsiy

markgsiy Astrea Snail

Thanks for all the input !! I think I will keep em for now but trim it a bit on water changes to keep it under control. I have a few soft mushroom corals in that area and dont really want to lose them.

Thanks again !! This site is Fantastic !!!