Need new return pump

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by CBSurfrider, Jun 30, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dmann

Dmann Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

2. Click Here!

3. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Understood. I just wanted to weigh in on what i know is a pump with a dismal failure rate! If you value your livestock as many of us do I would recommend you consider a different return pump. Use that DC pump in a closed loop.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
    Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  4. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

just think how bad it must have been to completely retire the pump! I do have to commend Coralvue/Reef Octopus as they have been the only company who has completely stood behind their product and not withheld the truth from consumers while other companies still market these as the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  5. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

My return pump is making screeching noises followed by pushing air bubbles out into my tank through the returns

I just read something on this just recently that you might want to watch out for: bubbles going through a return pump can supersaturate the water with nitrogen. You can tell if the DT water gets micro bubbles and looks hazy. It can really mess up the fish. Hopefully this isn't happening, just thought I'd alert you to the possibility.

6. Roccus

Roccus Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

as Vinny said bubbles mean air leak on the intake side... the screeching could be cavitation as the impeller chops up those bubbles...or a snail may have found it's way into the impeller...it wouldn't be the first time...

Most pumps give a head height chart... look at them closely as all pumps are not created equal.. some drop off very fast others have a much slower curve as the head pressure mounts... fittings must also be taken into account...

I'm partial to Danner mag drive pumps but they are noisy little dudes..

7. oceanfreak09

oceanfreak09 Plankton

I've had great dependability with reeflow external pumps. Owned the dart, and now the Baracuda. Very powerful and quiet pumps in my opinion. Alot of people that know with dc pumps have to clean their pumps monthly. (Not something that I would enjoy doing or tolerate.) But a couple have had no issues.

8. Click Here!

9. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Whatever you decide to go with Chris try and get an extra pump. I have 2 emergency pumps for both tanks incase one fails at 10 pm on sunday. Lol

CBSurfrider and Vinnyboombatz like this.
  10. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

Kinda like bringing a car to the mechanic when it's making noises, then it gets there and it runs fine! My pump hasn't made a peep since I started this post. I still plan on getting a new pump soon though. Thanks for all the suggestions.

11. Brennen

Brennen Plankton

The new jebao ones look pretty nice for the price and their controllable.

12. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

That's been stated in the beginning of the thread?