Need Ideas after big over sight

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Jason McKenzie, May 10, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. szidls

szidls Feather Duster

[quote author=Jason McKenzie link=board=DIY;num=1084197969;start=0#5 date=05/10/04 at 16:25:59]I've heard that the slime build up makes the seal fail and that the ball can create a lot of racket?
    I have been strongly advised by others not to go with a check valve.  But it would be the nices option.

[/quote]
    Hey Jason,
    Here is a link from Marine Depot. It's a Tru-Union swing Check valve. Makes it easy for maint. & cleaning. Might be an option. I think Murphy's law will ultimately applyto check valves. Have to keep up on cleaning.
    Scott
    http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_plumbing_parts_fittings_2.asp#cv

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Thanks Scott,
    Being able to clean it would certainly put my mind at ease.

Jason

4. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=Jason McKenzie link=board=DIY;num=1084197969;start=15#18 date=05/10/04 at 19:34:27]I'm trying to get my head around Flech's Idea.  It has also been suggested but If I were to run a air line to the surface and 90 it would that be enough to break the siphon.  Or would there be well aerated water all over my floor?
    [/quote]

Fletch's idea is a good one. Unfortunately I am not very good with drawing so I will try to describe a small modification.

Your return pipe need to come up the outside of your tank higher than the maximum water level in the tank. It then bends downwards and into the fitting. Somewhere above the water level you can fit the small bleeder tube that Fletch suggested and have it pointed into the tank. While the unit is running the water will flow as expected throgh the main pipe and a small volume through the bleeder tube. If the power fails the main return pipe will go into siphon until air is sucked in via the bleeder tube and breaks the syphon. All that times 2

Make any sense?

John

5. Jason McKenzie

URRRRIKA
    Thanks John I think I got it. Now if I only knew how I was going to make it.

6. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=Jason McKenzie link=board=DIY;num=1084197969;start=15#23 date=05/10/04 at 20:12:23]URRRRIKA
    Thanks John I think I got it.  Now if I only knew how I was going to make it.[/quote]

I don't smell that bad do I?   ;)

If it was me, I would start of with air line tubing for the syphon breaker and do a few test runs in case you need to increase the tube size.

John

7. Jason McKenzie

I was thinking of going with 1/4 PVC
    so I would have a 3/4 line and put in a "T" 3/4 to 3/4 with a 1/4
    then run the 1/4 over the side of the tank and to just below the water line (or at the water line) then cap it. I would then drill a hole in the cap (that way if I need a bigger hole I just get the drill out.

Or I use a check Valve.

I'm still bouncing back and forth.
    I told my wife my dilemma and she said " It down stairs who cares if it floods"
    I guess just me

J

8. Click Here!

9. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Sounds like a good plan to me :) Just make sure the 3/4 pipe goes up above the water level before coming back down the the tank fitting :)

John

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

John you are full of good ideas today! :eek:

I think that could work too, although it may push the tank out from the wall more.

But J, If you're still thinking about check valves, I remembered some more on my old setup that was kinda critical....

First the ball check valves come apart too, like the flap union one posted above, so you can clean it.

BUT THE KEY, that I forgot, was that I had a regular ball valve inline above the check valve.

One of these things:

[​IMG]

The idea was that I could turn off the pump, then turn off that ball valve so that I could disassemble the check valve and clean it. It also provides a little backup to the check valve.

11. Jason McKenzie

Ya that is what I was thinking of doing Matt. I'm still flip flopping over what I should do. I really want to go with the check valve just because it fits into my neat and tidy original plan, but too many people have told me stories. But then Matt ran it without problems for along time
    Another factor is the back pressure of a check valve, but the way I see it is if I go with the other option (raising the return line above the water level) it's going to have tons of 90 and 45 angles

Matt I'm going with your way. If it fails I have a wet/dry Vac.

J

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

That's cool..
    I think you should be fine.