Resolved Need Help with wiring Solderless Rapid LED's!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Astrick117, Dec 17, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

I am in the middle of wiring my new LED's and think I may have wired them wrong. Here is a picture of what they look like. All of them are facing the same direction and I just wired them in sequence from the top left to the top right, then down to the next row and across, then down to the final row.

Is this right or should i flip the middle row? My guess is that the wires need to align and the only way I can do that is if I flip the middles, though Rapid states that with solderless all led's should face the same way...argh!

Please note, I decided to only place 10 LED's on my heatsink though there is room for 12.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Wow, 59 lookers and not one helper!?:eek:

Come on 3reef help me out! I guess I could just ask Rapid now that it is normal working hours again...

4. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Your picture is blurry and you can't distinguish the markings on the stars.

However, they need to be wired in series, that is positive to negative, positive to negative, positive to negative, etc.

I'm guessing you have positive to positive and negative to negative at some point in that string. The intent of "they all should face the same way" is relative to the string, not the physical layout on the heatsink.

5. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

That's what I figured, but with this being my first LED experience, I didn't want to hook them up and blow out the whole string or something. With the solderless is there a positive side and a negative side? Or do i just need to connect left side to the right of the next LED, left to right, left to right?

6. LoJack

LoJack Sea Dragon

one side is positive and one side is negative, thats why in the picture they tell you to have them all oriented the same way. As long as you wire them in series all the way around ... the physical orientation doesn't matter. Its just a failsafe for them so that rookies don't screw them up.

7. Aaron.Herk

Aaron.Herk Sea Dragon

It looks like the top two and the bottom right ones are your issue if they need to be in series.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  8. Click Here!

9. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Thanks everyone. I'll be finishing them up tonight and putting them back on the tank, so my inhabitants don't miss another day of lighting. I had 1 PC bulb over the tank before, so I think I will start out with 4 hours per day for acclimation and move up by a 1/2 hour per week. Thoughts?