Need help with tank set up

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Stupidface, Jun 26, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Stupidface

Stupidface Plankton

So this is everything needed to start cycle, correct?

2. Click Here!

3. con999

con999 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

well if ur going to be buy more live, or dry rock later why are even even starting to cycal. you will just have to do it again

4. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

This was obviously a "loose" guideline for him to follow. I could have went into more detail but since he is asking basic questions I doubt he would understand anything more in depth.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

5. insanespain

This is not true at all. Dry or live rock can be added to an established system and not cause a cycle if its done properly.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

6. Stupidface

Stupidface Plankton

Ok, I will let you know on how much I have when I go to LFS on Wednesday

7. Stupidface

Stupidface Plankton

Ok, just a thought, would it be cheeper to start out with a smaller tank? 15-20 gal? Seems like less water to buy, less sand, and less live rock

8. Click Here!

9. insanespain

I would keep the tank you have. The bigger the tank, the easier it will be starting out, since you have more margin for error, and you WILL make errors when you are learning. Not to mention the stocking ratios for saltwater are alot less than freshwater, so a 20 gallon tank will fill up in a HURRY, and you will be stuck wanting to upgrade. No offense, but if you are that worried about the cost, you may want to just stick to freshwater. I love seeing new people get into this hobby and post pictures of their tanks, but this is an EXPENSIVE hobby. If you are already trying to cut costs, you will end up with a setup that doesnt work properly, and then you will get discouraged with saltwater right away. I would advise to save money and do it the right way. Just my 2 cents.

10. con999

con999 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

well if he added more uncured rock to his tank, yes he would have to cycal the rock

11. wasitgreen

wasitgreen Feather Duster

Yup, I have heard and read that on average, a 55g (for example) saltwater will cost ~10-20x the cost of a 55g freshwater, I have spent over $2k on my 40B with mid-grade equipment, which by the way I worry about failing, and that's without fish, corals, or my skimmer added in. I don't think you'd be able to be sucessful with this tank on such a low budget, and since you want coral later on, you will be selling your stuff at a loss to get more expensive and better equipment. Good luck though.

12. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

First this is a forum that people go for help and will take to heart what is said is gold. Especially someone that is new to the hobby. Second never assume someone won't or can't understand what is said.

We are here to help and if you can not then I suggest to allow others to do that task.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk