Need help with tank set up

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Stupidface, Jun 26, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I've just noticed a couple of your questions went unanswered.

Salt water: if you live right on the beach, ocean water is the best water u can get. It has everything u could possibly need to maintain good Coralline growth and also all the trace elements. Remember, salt mixes are "trying" to imitate the essential elements found in sea water.... so, nothing is better than sea water, unless u get it somewhere near an oil spill.

Also, the sand. With all the already live sand ion the beach, why not take a dive and save on that as well? I do ask other readers to confirm this, but I think that if you get sand from the beach (not dry one, but from under the water) and strain it and make sure u don't have any dangerous critters in it u will be more than fine.
    The reason I ask other readers to check on me about the sand, is because sand from the ocean may have something that u don't want there. In that case, dry sand from a clean part of the beach would be free of hitchhikers and still be the way mother nature made it. Aragonite sand does have an advantage, and that is that it will release calcium and a few other elements that are beneficial for the marine tank, but considering that you would already be using sea water, I don't think that u will need anything more than that. Remember, some of the most successful reef aquarium use ONLY sea water.... just a thought.

Sent from my phone using my two opposable digits

2. Click Here!

3. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

I agree with some of the others. If you only have 100 bucks to start the tank, how are you planning on maintaining it? You will need salt for regular water changes which will be a recurring cost, plus replacement filter cartridges for your HOB filter. That's just the minimum. Also flourescent bulbs lose spectrum over time and contribute to algea blooms and will need to be replaced at LEAST probably once a year. Also you asked about coral, you would need an entire new lighting setup for that. I noticed some people factoring in cost for water from your local fish store, I personally would just use tap water with a de chrolinator added to it. I have 2 tanks running like that and it works fine for fish only tanks.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

4. Stupidface

Stupidface Plankton

Ok, I just drained my tank and plan to go to LFS some time this week. List of the bare esentials that I need please? I just want to get the cycle started. If anything is needed during the cycle, I will have the funds. I only want to get a small amount of LR to start the cycle. I also plan on getting dry sand, salt water mix, 1 powerhead to start, and water test kits. Does that all sound about right to start the cycle?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  5. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

Yes, mix your saltwater to 1.025 with a hydrometer, add the dry sand, throw in your live rock, and toss a couple frozen shrimp in the bottom and then wait 4-6 weeks basically.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

6. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

That's what I was thinking.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk

7. ComputerJohn

Depends where you live. Taking sand from the beach is illegal. (Check with your local laws)

8. Click Here!

9. Antagonist

Antagonist Bristle Worm

i dont see how your going to have coral hard or soft in a tank without skimming and correct me if im wrong but a skimmer itself will cost more than $100

10. ComputerJohn

You making a soup? LOL.

There is a bit more to it than that. At work right now and can't go into detail. Anytime you put live sand or live rock, your lighting must be on for a set hours per day. Adding shrimp is not needed and will explain after.

11. Stupidface

Stupidface Plankton

Like I said, I will work on that after the cycle ends, once my tank is stable, I will most likely add more live rock, a skimmer, and most likely upgrade my lighting before I add coral

12. Stupidface

Stupidface Plankton

I will be home most days, so I will be able to control lighting and moniter tank