NEED HELP WITH MY 55g tank

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by sprite1823, Aug 29, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Do you have a local fish store (LFS) around you? They can be of help getting you started. But be careful, they may try to sell you some critters. Be sure not to put anything alive in there until you understand the "cycle". It takes several weeks to get through it. Here's a link for the test kits:
    http://aquarium.bulkreefsupply.com/search?asug=&view=grid&cnt=16&w=salifert

I'd recommend at least the nitrite and nitrate kits.
    I'd also recommend that if you are going to add live rock (recommended), do it sooner than later since the live rock will also need to be cycled.

Dman likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Also, you'll want to read up about protein skimmers and sumps. That's the best way to go with filtration.

4. Dman

Dman Astrea Snail

Welcome. I didn't see you mention a heater. Do you have one?

Billme likes this.
  5. sprite1823

sprite1823 Astrea Snail

Ok sorry for the late reply but today I went to a LFS not really close but anyway he told me to turn my filter on get it cycling and I bought a live rock as well which is in the tank now I do have a heater he told me to turn it on as of a protein skimmer working on getting one maybe tomorrow used but still gud for the time being now is it necessary for me to get a kit now

6. sprite1823

sprite1823 Astrea Snail

Also this sump tank I see people us I asked the LFS guy is that the way you should go he said no it depends on how u want ur tank set up. By the way anyone knows where I can get some LED lights for my aquarium for a good price

7. Dman

Dman Astrea Snail

Is that one rock the only rock in there? I would have all my aquascape in there now. You need the kits to monitor the cycling process so you will know when it's finished. I would do as Billme said and at least get the nitrite and nitrate. You can run a SW tank without a sump. I do recommend one though. A sump gives you more water volume, a place to put equipment so it's not in the display, it's easier to maintain and a place for macroalgae. I started with a canister filter. I got tired of the frequent maintenance to keep it clean. Not to mention if something had to be replaced you had to open the hole thing up. I now have a sump and I'm much happier. If you can't afford to start with one I recommend putting it in future plans. The led lights. There are several for decent prices if your only going to have fish. If you want corals (and I'm no expert on corals, just now getting into them myself), you can't go cheap on the lights if you want leds. As I learned just cause it may say reef capable doesn't necessarily mean it is. I bought one on sale that said that. Now I have to buy one that really is.

Billme likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. sprite1823

sprite1823 Astrea Snail

I only have one rock In there now water is getting clear heater is one pump and power head is on water is a lil salty thou guy at the LFS said take some water out and add some freshwater today I'm getting a used hangover the back skimmer how much are we talking for a test kit?

10. sprite1823

sprite1823 Astrea Snail

How the tank looks now

Attached Files:

11. Dman

Dman Astrea Snail

The nitrite and nitrate from salifert will run around 39 dollars depending on where you get them from. If you order them that doesn't include shipping.

12. sprite1823

sprite1823 Astrea Snail

So they don't sell them at a LFS

: help