NEED HELP WITH MY 55g tank

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by sprite1823, Aug 29, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sprite1823

sprite1823 Astrea Snail

Ok last night i started my new adventure to the saltwater side of aquarium world i place live sand in my tank 40 pounds worth and them poured the already mixed saltwater from Petco and it made the water extremely cloudy and wen i woke up the next day the water was still the same is there anything i can do to get this water clear like maybe placing a live rock in the tank or something or do i have to just wait it out

2. Click Here!

3. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

Wait it out. Most of the cloudiness most likely came from the sand. It needs to settle.

Billme likes this.
  4. sprite1823

sprite1823 Astrea Snail

ok thanks RoloSaez does the filter you use matter in saltwater i dont have the typical one u get for fresh water but it does hang over that back

5. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Welcome to the salt sprite. It took mine about 3 days to settle down. What do you have for filtration?

6. sprite1823

sprite1823 Astrea Snail

To be honest Bill i dont really know i bought the tank for $100 came with the stand and the filter today in need to really look at it to see but i know it hangs over the back

7. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

The filter will be one of the most important parts of your tank. I'd suggest you take it slow with introducing critters. Do you have any test kits?

8. Click Here!

9. sprite1823

sprite1823 Astrea Snail

I have just the hyprometer i think that is wat its called what is considered to be a text kit

10. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

You are asking the right questions. Your tank will go through a break in period. While the water is adjusting, most critters that you put on there won't survive. You'll want to test ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. I recommend salifert kits. These tests will tell you where you are in the break in period. The break in period is commonly called cycling. The hydrometer is to test how salty the water is. A refractometer is more accurate.

11. sprite1823

sprite1823 Astrea Snail

ok yea i that salt meter thing lol but to test for the other stuff is im assuming i have to but a kit of some sort ?

12. Dman

Dman Astrea Snail

Yes you would need to buy those. The 3 Salifert kits total around 55 dollars not including tax or shipping if you order them.

: help