Need help Starting 55 Gallon Saltwater Tank

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Louzir, Jan 13, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Louzir

Louzir Flamingo Tongue

Hi Everyone, The name is Mason.
    My wife and I Just started our First time ever saltwater Aquarium.
    I myself have a few worries about the Tank We used Play Sand in Our Aquarium the thing was it was USED.... By our Bearded Dragon I don't know why We did it I guess we were in some form of a Hurry We washed it the best We could, But the was still some fecal matter left in the Sand I was wondering if the Bacteria Could take care of this Problem.
    we have no live stock or LR in the Tank all except some Cooked Cocktail Shrimp.
    I Used API Stress Zyme To boost the Bacteria, i was Planing on letting the Tank Cycle for a Few months. I'm using one(1) Aqua-Tech Carbon Filter 30-60 Filter Pump & two(2) Bubble stones & two(2) 30 gallon Heaters
    The Tank has been Cycling for 7 Days now.

Ph 8.3 - 8.4
    Alkalinty 300+ Good or Bad?
    Nitrite 0 ppm
    Nitrate 0 ppm
    Temperature 78F

I'm Unsure of how long it will take for me to notice the NO2 and NO3 to Spike, while I have no Ammonia Test Kit. Funds were Raped to say from Family Problems, but I know the list I will need Once I can get everything Up and Running, i was planning on using Crushed Coral Not live Sand to put on Top of the Play Sand This Ok? and as far as Live rock goes I'm Unsure of the Names like Base rock cured rock Extra Extra etc. Any idea what LR or any Rock I should put in the Tank and how to Treat it?
    The Cocktail Shrimp I've put in the Tank has also began to Turn a Yellowish Color Signs of Bacteria Growth? The Tank also is Crystal Clear now.

Am I Doing anything Wrong other the the Lizard Poop & Play Sand? :-/

-Mason

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Honestly, I would just start over....you are not that far into it, which is good. Aragonite sand is, IMO, the best you can do. There are many schools of thought here, so take it for what it is worth. Also, if you used tap water (conditioned of course), you may run into further trouble (presence of silicates, phosphates, nitrates, etc can lend to algae blooms and problems in the future). Good luck dude.

If the finances are that tight, you may want to put the SW thang on hold for awhile until things even out. You not only have to worry about sand, rock and water.....but all the hardware (skimming, lighting, etc) which can get spendy. I just don't want you to come to a blockade where you have actual livestock in the tank. You are embarking on one expensive hobby my friend.

Peace.......John.

4. PDCCO

PDCCO Feather Duster

DITTO --

I was just about to submit a reply recommending the same thing! Empty the tank, clean it, start over with a proper substrate.

5. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Hi Mason,
    I would like to, first of all, welcome you to 3reef!
    I am wondering if you have any good books regarding the marine hobby and how much time you have devoted to learning about the marine hobby?
    The use of a tank that was not devoted to a marine aquarium first and foremost is a concern to me. Unless you properly and thoroughly cleaned the tank using a cleaner that is non detrimental to marine life is of utmost importance. Bleach and soap used to clean the Bearded Dragon's tank, normally contain residue that can alter your tanks performance.
    I have had snakes in the past and know what it entails as far as cleaning, because it is similar to that of keeping lizards and other reptiles.
    I would start of by removing the play sand containing the feces and start that part over employing the use of an aragonite based gravel. This will help in the buffering capacity of the benthic aea of your tank. Various strains of Bacteria(nitrifying and denitrifying), polychaete worms, microcrustaceans, algae and other diverse and unique forms of life will populate this important part of your aquarium.
    I would employ the use of a protein skimmer instead of the Aqua-Tech filter, add some live rock to boost your bacteria level as biological filtration is of utmost importance to your livestock and the maintaining of proper water parameters essential to life.
    What do you have for lighting?
    Do you have all the test kits?
    Do you have a good book regarding the hobby that you can spend time with to help you along the way?
    You have come to the right place here at 3reef to help you to be successful, but it will take alot more than this to be a successful reefer!
    I would purchase some CURED live rock! It is more expensive but will help with your water, plus the assortment of living organisms that populate in and on the rock is amazing.
    I don't understand the alkalinity level? Are you sure that isn't for calcium? Alkalinity should be around 2.5-3.5 meg./L or 7-10dKH.
    Please do some more reading and ask questions here on 3reef to help you while your tank is cycling through 100%.
    Then and only then should you concider thinking of adding hardy fish to start!
    Good luck to you and again welcome!

6. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

The ALK of 300 is in ppm I believe. Divide by 50 and multiply result by 2.8 gives the dKh = 16.8 .....not horrible.....a little high.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  7. reefwisperer

reefwisperer Feather Duster

in my opinion you should ditch the play sand and get LS & LR the start of the system is very important. definetly read up and do lots of investagating to prevent fish loss. if you take short cut on setup and cycling your allmost garunteed to lose money. be shure to do your homework and don't be afraid to ask ?'s. there is a lot of brillant peeps that are full of knowlage. i owe 3reef for with out matt and the crew i'm shure i'd gave up. but know i have a verry sucessful reef. look for the three steps to a reef tank in this site by matt. i'll send you the links. brb

8. Click Here!

9. Louzir

Louzir Flamingo Tongue

well i was not expecting so many replys ahaha greet site :) well i guess there went 18 buck in instant ocean so theres no way that my tank i have set now would ever hold life? other then bacteria of course :) so the water is no good then? or can i just remove the sand with water still standing in it?

10. reefwisperer

11. reefwisperer

12. reefwisperer