Need help setting up 75 gallon flow rates

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by jwalsh1, Apr 13, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

People just get so confused with terminology of the stuff .. You have an internal movement of water thats Circulation or movement of water is actually called Volume and then you have a true flow rate thats is what moves along a controlled path pipe trough flume anything that contains and transports a liquid ..

A internal circulation needs a high volume and low pressure pump like a swimming pool or a mixing vat for chemicals or foods and the pump from sump to push water or chemicals back to the holding storage tanks has to be a pressure pump. A 1 inch pipe can only handle about 700 GPH if pipe is a straight shot no turns and a liquid with the viscosity of freshwater.

When you have worked with pumps rated from 2 to 50 HP to push water from a chiller or boiler to a 10 or 20th floor convector or to supply water to the top floors of tall apartment's city pressure can't do it, you have to understand and no how water moves .. Its not a hobby when you have to figure the loads and heat loss and have to get a certain amount of a chilled or heated fluid to keep someone warm or cool . And the pump cost several thousands of dollars you do the math .

Again why over size the pump ? it will just wear it out or create excess heat and or expense to operate . Hell put a Mag 2400 on it let it rip :) I'm just offering you over 50 yrs or real world pump and flow experience not hobby toys ..

4. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

Well rest assured i hav'int 50 years of experiance
    More like 20+ for me' but im not 90 years old or somthing.
    Far be it from me that has an "extensive" understanding of "hydraulics"

I opt for bigger higher pressure pumps that i feel are well suited for fish tanks , not moving water 10 floors up to a crapper.

It's (imo) of course i prefer to use the larger pump simply beacause
    we all to often find that the water is not turning over and/or have a lack of head pressure of the nozzle .
    Thus we find our selfs buying 10 power heads and sucking up more power And making our tanks look like a "hill-billy swimin pool"

And heat off a larger pump is some what "negligible" here considering MOST of the heat is put into the water from all the lighting/room temp.

I opt for the "peter built' that i can do more with in the longer run.

5. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Well here is some info I got from a buddy of mine thats a hydraulic engineer in reguards to aquariums...

Total maximum drainage:
    3/4"-700 gph.
    1"-1000gph.
    1 1/4"-1200gph.
    1 1/2"-1500gph.

Dersa/Durso standpipe will increase it by 20%.

Coeficient of friction:
    Every 22, 45, or 90 degree bend adds friction slowing maximum possible drainage 90 degree bends can also result in bubbles gurguling trying to escape drag.

Head Pressure:
    Every vertical foot=1ft head pressure
    Every 3 horizontal feet=1ft. head pressure
    Every 90degree bend =1.5 ft. head pressure.

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Well it takes some doing to make 90 and most get culled far sooner good luck to you ;)

7. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

Na im like the "prevurbial turd" that just won't "flush"
    (with a little pump of course)
    Heck' i always say "age" before "beauty"

No pun' intended.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008