Need Help, Lighting with a Budget

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by superclouds, Dec 10, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reefdiver72

Reefdiver72 Feather Duster

I would just add 2 250 watt halides with what you have my corals love it over my 75 I have the same thing.

2. Click Here!

3. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

i'm not sure how handy you are but you can put 4-6 high output t5's over it for arround that much if you build it.work horse ballasts are around $30 for t5's.sockets are $1.25 a peice or more for the expensive water proof ones.$25 each for top quality bulbs.i'd buy a nice reflector.i'm sure someone here could tell you how to build a mh retrofit cheap too but i would'nt know.of course if you don't already have a hood for your tank then that'll cost you as well.

4. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

I have a nova extreme 4x54w T5HO fixture and I was given a aquatraders 4x54w T5HO and I can honestly say its brighter then the nova extreme for less then half the price.

I have the nova on a 75g, and its too much light IMO.

5. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I love them.. I sent out one to Omard here last week it was a HQI 250 and it cracked in a few hrs .. I got a case of them last June ? to swap out the 10 K ushios at the shop and 4 or 5 of them broke also.. I contacted the manufacture last week the Rep told me that they did have a bad batch to slip through something with one line and the glass ? But they are sending me a new case about 6 of that case was a problem the Moguls are fine it was just the 250 HQI's But I'll not change until something better comes along.. :) I may go to 20K next time I change them.. they are not that real dark blue like some others are..

1 person likes this.
  7. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Replacement for broke bulb sent promptly by Tangster is working great. Beautiful light...am impressed.

Obviously a very high quality bulb, unlike any I have used before.

Now waiting to see if it will help bring bleached anemones back into color. :-/

8. Click Here!

9. superclouds

superclouds Flamingo Tongue

I'm thinking about getting one of these 48" 216W (4-54 watt) Quad T6 Fluorescent Light Fixture (W/B) - 506041 , they are the T6. Is there any reason I should choose the T5 instead? It looks like the T6 setup has 3 different power cords so I can use my timers while the T5 only has one with 3 switches which would mean without wiring intervention I would be manually switching them on and off.

Oh and thanks so much for the help, you guys make this hobby better and easier.

10. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Superclouds...I just bought one of those and have had it for about 2 weeks now. I love it and for the price.......I notice I do have to keep a fan on when the daylights(4-5 hours) are on since the light only has vent holes on top, not fans built in, other than that...they're cool

11. superclouds

superclouds Flamingo Tongue

Thanks cuttingras, i'll have to keep that in mind and add some computer fans to it. I also just uploaded some pics of my tank and my redneck lighting system.

12. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

couldn't have been any worse than the mess I had lol redneck you say...where ya from?