Unresolved Need help identifying zebra striped hitchiker

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by cowlr, Mar 2, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cowlr

cowlr Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I bought my first piece of coral, a monti cap, yesterday from a fairly reputable LFS. It didn't look bad in the display tank at the LFS, but it was towards the end of the day and their lighting was tapering down so I guess I didn't notice.

Anyway, to be careful, I shook the frag for about 8 minutes in Coral RX mixed w/one gallon of my aquarium water. To my surprise, this morning, the piece is covered in tiny aiptasia flowers and has a few unidentified legs coming out of it.

The legs are like extremely thin bristle worms, but are banded black and white like a zebra. I see 2 legs at the momment. I'm assuming this is a tiny brittle star? It came out when i fed cyclopeez so it (and the aiptasia) definitely made it through the Coral RX wash.

Can you guys help me? I took a close up and distant shot for size reference. The frag is about 1.5".

Also, what should I do about this aiptasia? I'm sure its already infested after a night of my vortechs blowing on it.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Recliner

Recliner Flamingo Tongue

Looks like a brittle star to me.
    For the aiptasia you can use aiptasia x or peppermint shrimp

4. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

+1 agreed. and nice looking Spongodes

5. cowlr

cowlr Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Spongodes? Is that what it is? Given it's apparent aggressive plating growth I assumped it was a cap of some sort. The spongodes don't look like they really plate. Here is another picture taken with my iphone from the front of the tank.

Attached Files:

6. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

That's not spongodes, it's a green cap of some sort. Looks sort of like a green apple cap. Pretty piece.