Need help ID-ing this strange guy

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Siddique, Jan 18, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

The fisherman who brought it for me told me that he sees them by the scores where he goes spare fishing so I'm surprised to learn that they're rare. Hopefully it eats some shrimp

2. Click Here!

3. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

Vey cool video. Thanks for the link.

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I just read they are rarely filmed which may have lead me to believe they are rare.Maybe they just didn't know where to look.lol Put some sand on the bottom and please keep us updated on its progress.More pictures would be great as well.Good luck.8)

5. BrianJ

BrianJ Peppermint Shrimp

What he said :)

6. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

Ohh :) I'll get some sand in there in the morning and take some neat pics. As long as he shows interest in eating I'll keep him. If not, I'll have to put him back.

7. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Please do not under any circumstances put it back. The second any animal touches captive water, it's a far greater risk putting it back into the ecosystem than the death of a single specimen of even the rarest species.

8. Click Here!

9. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Yup, I'm surprised vinny said to put it back, regardless of if has or has not touched another animal.

I wonder how big they get? Do you have to run the tank at lower temps for them? While I've heard they do eat mollusks, do they not also lie in wait for small fish? That might be a good idea to try too, though I may be wrong.

10. Boywithafishtan

Boywithafishtan Coral Banded Shrimp

Really nice fish though, very unique :) And yup its a shortnosed batfish. I have been eyeballing these fish in my LFS for a long time, because they are so cool :D

11. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

how big is it? It's hard to tell by the picture and video its size. That is seriously a cool but yet almost creepy fish :)

12. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Absolutely my bad.Give me a break it was late and I just finished moving.lol I assumed it was a clean qt tank which was wrong.Its an lfs yikes yeah please don't put it back.